Chapter 21: Remington Weber

It had been two days since the movies and two days since Evangeline and I last spoke. But during those two days, Remington and I spent all of our time together. I was living at the hospital and she would come to visit me. We held hands a lot. But I had no idea what we were. I mean, we've only known each other for a month. David and Delaney began dating after a week of knowing each other. Is a month and a half considered rushed?

A few things about Remington that I should mention - her dads side of the family is from Switzerland. She's eighteen with a part time job as a teachers assistant. She's receiving college credit hours to become a teacher. But for its on hold because of Hodgkin lymphoma. It's common in females. Remington has two older brothers named Logan and Parker and a younger sister named Benedetta. It's just Rem and Bennie that live with their mom. That's about it.

The one thing about hospitals I never went to, since I found out about my cancer, was going to cancer support groups. I went to one the first time I found out and it was boring. Some guy named Jimmy tried comforting me on my journey. I wasn't having it. Anyway, somehow, Remington, Rhett and Cora convinced me to join them. I was not excited about it. But they seemed excited. I wondered why.

"HEY EVANGELINE!" Shouted a guy from behind me.

Evangeline turns around and smiles. He jogs towards her and they hug from the side. I wondered who he was and what he was telling her to make her laugh and touch his arm softly. I stayed watching them laugh in the distance. He put his arm around her and they walked off. Probably to the cafeteria. Evangeline spends most of her time there eating fruit cups and crossing things off her bucket list. Truthfully, I did not want to think of Evie being with anyone else. We liked each other but I don't think feelings can disappear that fast even when somebody new comes into the picture.

"Hey?" Said Remington from behind me. I turned around and smiled.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Yeah. Why?"

"I don't know. You seem out of it, I guess?" She smiled softly.

"No, I'm fine. Ready?"

"Yes!" She grabbed my arm and held it tightly. I pulled her in for a tight hug and kissed her forehead before she let out a little giggle.

We met up with Rhett and Cora on the first level of the hospital. They each gave me a fist pump and Remington a hug. We walked into the room with a large banner that said "WELCOME TO CSP" in all caps. There weren't that many teenagers or adults there. No more than seven people there.

"Alright everyone. Please take your seats so we can get started. I see we have two newcomers. Welcome! My name is Berkeley Michelle Cruz but you can call me Berkeley or Berk. I am twenty-seven and a breast cancer survivor. Who's next?" She smiled.

"Hi I'm Robby Topher. I'm sixteen and have testicular cancer."

"Santiago Garza. Seventeen and skin cancer."

"Hello, Rhett Pisciotti. I'm eighteen and I have adenocarcinoma. I was diagnosed three weeks ago and I started chemo a week ago. My family and my boyfriend have been incredibly supportive and I'm thankful for them."

"Wow, that's amazing Rhett! How long have you and your boyfriend been together?" Asked Berkeley.

"Almost a year. Yeah."

"That's amazing congratulations!"

"Thank you." He smiled and sat down.

"Hi I'm Cora Smith and I'm eighteen as well. I was diagnosed with gastrointestinal stromal tumor, or GIST. So far, I am not handling it well. I just keep thinking why me?"