Toddling Children

Hope's POV:

I make my way to where everyone might see me, and look about me. Students and teachers alike dance around me with no care in the world, toddling like little children, clinging to their plates for dear life, as if someone might wish to snatch their figgy pudding from them. Trust me, no one wants your fucking figgy pudding. Kaleb's manning the phonograph, letting the cheery music ring about the school. Josie catches my eye as I struggle to make an utterance, my voice drowned out by all the commotion. She raises a confused eyebrow at me, when I finally bring my voice to a rise. 

"I need everyone's attention." I say it clearly and firmly, hoping the message is set, that this is a dire announcement. Everyone turns to me, Josie getting a touch closer to me, away from her father and Dorian. I step down, closer to the center of the floor, before speaking, "I have some bad news. A... Krampus is headed our way." Everyone groans, shrugging me off, even Dorian slurping away at his coffee, Josie, the only one who actually seems half invested in what I had to say. The silence isn't very long, interrupted by someone's coughing, before Kaleb turns back to the phonograph, playing the music once more. I can't take this anymore, I've had enough. I mutter barely audibly, the words taking action, the phonograph getting trashed, the lights flickering before blowing it's fuses, and ruining the food at the table left. There's a gasp of shock, as I'm just about ready to set them straight. "Alright. That was the nuclear option. Didn't want to have to deploy it, but it is urgent. There is no fucking Santa Claus, alright? No fat jolly man who'll bring us all presents. He's a myth, and you're acting like a bunch of little toddling children, especially you, Alaric, Dorian. Now let's all grow the hell up." As if my words were magic, they're snapped from their cheerful trance and brought back down to reality. Josie steps towards me, speechless, memories coming back of the festivities, like everyone else. Alaric steps forward, ripping off his jumper, declaring, "She's right. I-I don't know what came over us." He pauses. Krampus, you idiot, you know the thing I've been telling everyone about, but clearly no one seems to listen? 

"Alright, Dorian, let's go hit the books and find out what this monster is and why it's doing it. Kaleb, Josie, we need  you to build us a trap." Kaleb interjects, "Man, I have the trap-" "Josie can go with me." I cut in. "Hope, you and Josie get the kids to be and gather weapons. And someone get me a goddamn crossbow." Everyone scatters, so I take Josie by the hand and start escorting the children to bed, letting her siphon from me in the process so that we might be ready for anything. Once all of them are safe, I push Josie safely in a room, blocking it from being opened with objects around rather than magic. She could break through it if she wanted to, but I'd rather her not  at this very moment. I pick up a gasp and struggle coming from by the fireplace, where the festivities were held, and as I get closer, I tread on a sickle. I quietly pick it up, finally seeing what was occurring. A vile looking thing, most likely to be Krampus, was using it's tongue to try and strangle Clarke. With a swift throw, I lop off the tongue of the fowl being. As much as I wanted to let Clarke die painfully, he was due to expire soon as it was, why not kill two birds with one stone and get rid of the monster as well? "And I assume you're Krampus?" I turn towards the being, letting it gnash it's teeth and snarl. With a quick wave of my hand, the Krampus came crashing into the fireplace with a powerful crunch. I strut towards the being that had been ruining my day since it had started, "My name's Hope. And I find holidays really stressful." I kicked him to the side as he reached for his sack, and within a blink of an eye he dissipated. Clarke stumbles towards me, "He knew. H-He knew. He knew I was going to find a new vessel and screw him over again." I look at him, "And how-" "I don't know how Hope. B-But! If you let me go, I can right this wrong. I can set everything back. Truly." I raise an eyebrow, not at all convinced. "I'll do this. I'll find a way to prove I am on your side. I'm telling the truth." He stumbles on, his stutter slightly present. I sigh, knowing it might be our only option.

Josie's POV:

Hope barricaded me in the room. She is so dead when we're done with this monster. She's got another thing coming. I slam my body against the door, wincing, trying to free myself. After a couple more body slams, I hear someone outside de-barricading the door, so I step back. Up pops Kaleb, smiling, rubbing the back of his neck. "So... I set the trap... but I need a witch all the same? Would you help a guy out?" I walk past him nodding, before being pulled back and told to be silent. We feel a cold breeze as we get closer to the main chimney, shivering. I peek into the dark room, seeing the Krampus materialising. "Illuceo." I mumble, watching the monster closely. It stumbles about as the room brightens with all the Christmas decorations. I can see my dad on the other end, Kaleb giving a signal as the phonograph starts to play. Everyone comes out, closing in on the Krampus. I take a sharp candy cane decoration from Pedro, one of the closest of the children to me, baring it. Kaleb ties it up carefully, while dad takes his aim. It drops down almost immediately, and Hope bustles her way to the front, catching me eye and giving me a small smile. 

Hope's POV:

Everything still seems so merry. Too merry. There's shifting coming from the sack, and I step towards it, Josie creeping up behind me, taking my hand. I squeeze it, letting go and stepping forward some more. Hands appear from the sack, and then out comes a jolly old man. Judging by his rosy cheeks, red trousers, and beard, it's fair to assume that this is Saint Nicholas. Well fuck me. "Who wouldn't be merry at this time of year? It's the magic of Christmas, Miss Mikaelson. Its the most wonderful time of the year." I scoot back towards Josie, keeping her close. "I can't believe you're real." I hold Jos in my arms, finding comfort in it. He chuckles loudly, "Belief, my dear Hope, is what makes things real." I keep quiet now, letting others speak. Alaric seemed completely gobsmacked, and I wanted to laugh so hard, but Josie gave me a stern stare and a pout, so I can't just disobey her. I feel more at ease, letting the feeling of cheer and merriness find it's way to my heart, not letting it get so close. But just as I start to feel easy again, the Krampus springs up, tearing off the lights binding it together. "Stay back. Don't you worry. Missing the heart of the Krampus is very much a normal occurrence, seeing as it is so small. This is my fight now, Hope, Alaric." He nods to us. I raise the sickle at the ready, only to be made to lower it by Alaric. "It's personal." I bite my tongue, letting Josie squeeze my hand in comfort. Santa socks the Krampus right in the face, speeding about, knocking the shit out of it as he went on his jolly way. As his back was turned the Krampus aimed to strike, but just as Alaric alerted him to it, he was being thrown across the room, slamming into the tree. While on his back, I let go of Josie, throwing him the sickle as to help him defend himself. He hops up quickly, burying it into the Krampus, pulling it down the midsection, before stuffing his hand in it's chest pulling out the tiny, black heart that remained. Josie buries her face in my shoulder as he shows off the small heart, nuzzling into me. I take her hand guiding her through the mass of students, to a small empty closet, pulling her in. She looks at me, pouting. "Hope Mikaelson, you barricaded me in a room." I blush, biting my lip. "I'm really sorry Jos, I just wanted you to be safe." She whines, "You had me worried sick. I should slap you right now." I smile, giggling, "I know, babe. I'm sorry. Please don't slap me too hard." I play along, smiling, holding her close, burying my face in her chest. She picks my face up, kissing me, then bends to my height. "You are so cute, Mikaelson." I kiss her neck softly, mumbling, "Why thank you, Miss Josette." Commotion from outside indicates it to be the time to part ways. "Meet me when it's all settled? Come to my room, since Alyssa may not appreciate me being in yours." She parts with me with a small kiss, skipping away. 

Landon steps through the doors, having arrived at the school. I know what I have to do. I need to do it now. 

Please comment your thoughts. Next chapter is the handon breakup!