Chapter 21: First Day As A Senior

*2 weeks later.
McKenna POV

Due to some stuff happening with Jj's dad, my dad and grandpa have let JJ move in with us.

"Hey mon amour, are you ready to leave?" Jj asks, leaning against my door frame.

"Yeah, just let me grab my ring." I grab my promise ring off of the top of my dresser before putting it on my finger and following Jj outside to my awaiting car.

"Have a good first day!" Grandpa yells as Jj and I get in my car.

I wave to Grandpa and Dad on the front porch before starting my car and pulling out of the driveway.
***

As I'm talking to Jj, Pope, and Kiara in the library during study hall, the principal Ms. Pickett walks over to our table.

"Ma'am, I haven't broken a rule yet I swear." Jj holds his hand up in degense, and I have to hold back a laugh.

"For once Mr. Maybank, I'm npt here for you. I'm actually here for McKenna." Ms. Pickett says, turning to me. "It's your dad McKenna, he's getting deployed and wants to come tell you goodbye. He'll be here in five minutes. Jj, Mr. Rhodes has requested you be there as well. "

"I'll be back at some point guys." I grab my bag and car keys before following Ms. Pickett to the office, Jj right beside me.

As I'm walking into the office, I see my dad dressed in his fatigues.

"Dad, you promised." I mumble, tears in my eyes. "You promised you were here to stay, and you lied to me."

"Sweetheart, I didn't lie. I honest to god thought that I was here to stay." Dad pulls me into a hug, and I can tell he's trying not to cry. "Jj, come here. You're a part of this family too."

Dad pulls Jj into the hug, and after a long moment or two we all break away.

"Jj, I'm gonna need you to take care of my little girl while I'm gone okay? Can you promise me that you'll do that for me?" Dad says, his voice stern but shaky.

"I promise I'll take care of her sir." Jj saya, and I swear I see tears in his eyes as my dad pulls him into a hug.

"I gotta go guys, I love you both. Take care of each other." Dad says, and when he leaves the office is when my tears fall.

"How much time is there left of the school day?" I ask Ms. Pickett, who then checks her Apple watch.

"It just ended actually."

"Good, because I'm leaving." I storm outside of the school, tears still running down my face.

"Do you want me to get a ride home from Kie?" Jj asks, and I nod. "I love you mon amour."

"I love you too Jj." I get in my car, slamming the door before sticking the key in the ignition.

I start blaring rock music before starting the fifteen minute drive home.