Chapter 7

McKenna POV

As I'm getting ready for the others to pick me up for the kegger, I hear my name being called from downstairs.

I grab my bag before walking out of my room. I slide down the banister to where my dad is waiting for me at the base of the stairs with a familiar looking blonde lady who I recognize as my revolving door of a mother Elizabeth.

"So I'm gonna go ahead and assume this is why you forced me to come back here before the party?" I cross my arms, leaning against the banister as my dad leaves to give my mom and I some space to talk privately without even answering my question.

"Um, about that kiddo," Elizabeth begins, rubbing the back of her neck as I raise my eyebrow at her. "I was wondering if you wanted to skip going to the party so you and I could go out to dinner with me, then we could talk about a lot of things."

My phone buzzes in my hand, and I see a text from Kie.

Kiara🤪🤞🏻: Hey, we're outside.

McKenna😋: Be out soon.

I put my phone back in my pocket before looking at Elizabeth.

"Yeah, I'll have to pass on that. I actually have to go do something more important." I open the front door before turning around. "And by the way, you don't just get to fucking waltz back into my life like you never even left in the damn first place!"

I slam my front door, storming over to John B's awaiting van.

"Woah mon amour, what's wrong with you?" Jj asks as I get in the back of John B's van, slamming the sliding door behind me. "Helloo? Earth to McKenna? What the hell happened on there?"

I tuck my knees into my chest, focusing on one point in the distance and not moving my gaze to try and calm myself down.

"Hey, are you okay?" Kie asks, rubbing soothing circles on my back to help keep me calm.

"My mom's back guys, she actually came back." I look up at Kie, almost ready to cry. "My bitch of a mother's just trying to waltz back into my life like nothing ever happened! She's trying to act like she never even left me in the first place!"

"Maybe you should give your mom the benefit of the doubt and see what she wants." Pope suggests, and I shake my head.

"No, hell no Pope. I'm not gonna let the bitch hurt me again." I stare ahead of me, sighing.
***

As I'm having a few drinks and talking to Jj along with Pope and Kiara, John B walks by.

"John B," Jj begins, stopping our friend.

"What're you doing?" John B looks at Jj, confused.

"Yo, what's up? I got this for you. Want it?" Jj holds out a red solo cup full of beer, and I just shake my head before taking a sip of my own drink.

"For me? Yeah, I'll take a sip." John B goes to grab the cup from Jj, who takes it away at the last second.

"Hi, oh, wait. Hey, hey. Hey Sarah! Sarah, can I interest you in a tasty Milwaukee beverage?" Jj asks, holding up the same beer he offered John B to Sarah, who doesn't really like to drink beer.