Chapter 2 - Off To Camelot

I was seventeen years old now and mother was worried about one of the villagers catching me using magic since I use it rather freely or perhaps her true worry was Kanen and his men.

True to his word William is choosing to follow me to Camelot as a personal bodyguard of sorts or so he says. He can be such a sweetie, he can even do some small spells now!

"This is such a long walk." William says with a sigh as he looks at me and asks curiously. "Are your short legs tired yet?"

I snort and shake my head with a happy smirk on my face, "Nope, not yet, but if you didn't notice back home I barely sat down."

"Oh I noticed." William says with a huff. "I think everyone noticed when you not only cooked but you worked on learning everything. Honestly, perhaps that's why your mother sent us away, you're too damn dedicated and you asked an over abundance of questions."

"I was curious."

"About why they didn't just build a wall?"

I shrug "it's a logical question and they could have practice dummies to know how to fight back."

"Like we've been practicing both?"

"Yup" I say happily, knowing he's referring to the magic and fighting.

"Our village. . They prefer to keep the peace instead of fight. ."

"Eventually they'll decide to fight back William." I tell him simply, " then we'll win, I made gunpowder."

He sighs and rubs his eyes "I don't even know what gunpowder is Merlyn."

"Oh. Well it's an explosive. . . In other words it goes boom."

"Boom?" He asks curiously "I guess I will find out regardless?"

"Yup"

I'll probably make more, you know, in case of emergencies, as long as I know where to hide it safely anyways.

Camelot

When we get through the gate of Camelot Uther is addressing a crowd of people from the balcony in the town square.

"Let this serve as a lesson to all. This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass."

Uther raises his arm, then lowers it as a signal to the executioner. When Thomas Collins is beheaded people gasp, I'm not sure why that's shocking though.

"When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin."

Thomas' mom comes into view then and yells or cry's "There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you! With your hatred and your ignorance! You took my son! And I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a son for a son."

Angrily Uther shouts "Seize her!"

"Oh lovely" William whispers to me as I walk towards the castle "why not just go live someplace where they'll kill you for magic."

I shrug "perhaps my goal is to tell everyone, really all that's going on is a fear for the few that are bad and also ignoring those that are born with it." Honestly, maybe I should make a Hogwarts, just for fun or something.