42

F L A S H B A C K

Her brows furrowed when she saw a familiar person inside the campus.

Her classes were already done and she was about to wait for their car when she saw an awfully familiar person walking down the hall of their school. When their eyes met, he smiled widely and waved his hand.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. He tilted his head to the side and showed bunch of notebooks that he was holding. All of them had the same print as her notebooks.

"I transferred here" Clarendon said.

"What for?" she asked, "We're already on our 12th grade, we'll finish highschool soon and you just decided to leave your school?"

Clarendon fixed his jacket and shrugged.

"I was told to stick around you now, since we're getting married next year. We're going to the same college by the way"

Destine shook her head. Unbelievable. Their parents would do anything to have their set up work even though everyone knows they're getting married for the wrong reasons.

Quite funny.

"Going home?" he asked, she just nodded.

"I'll wait until your driver comes"

Destine faked a laugh, "You don't have to try so hard. Don't worry, I won't back out from our set up"

An amused grin flashed on his face.

"I'm not doing this because you're my fiancée" he said, "I'm just trying to be nice"

They both stared at each other. It was as if they're in a staring competition. It had been days since her 18th birthday and after the dance, they never really talked again.

And for the first time since he met her, she smiled. Clarendon chuckled.

"We never got the chance to introduce ourselves, right?" he smiled, his brown eyes shining, "I'm Clarendon Louis...but please, just call me Ren"

Destine grinned.

"Destine Mirabelle, but call me Des"

-

"No way!" Clarendon's eyes widened as he compared Destine's grades to his, "You got an A+ on History?! And yet you said you hate this subject!"

Destine rolled her eyes as she grabbed her test paper away from him.

"I do, but that doesn't mean I didn't study" she rolled her eyes, "What are you complaining about anyway? You got an A!"

He clapped his hand, "Okay! That's it. Dinner's on you!"

She furrowed her brows.

"What? Why?"

"Well, we did say that whoever gets a higher score on History will have to buy us a dinner to one of the most expensive restaurant here in San Francisco"

Destine shook her head. She clearly forgot about that. It's okay, it's not like she can't afford it (heck, she can even buy the restaurant).

Clarendon and Destine walked towards the cafeteria, oblivious of the fact that some students are talking about them, curious about their relationship with each other. But they never mention their engagement to anyone, and it's not like they really care about it.

They were eating their snacks when Arnold, the school's jockey went to their table and greeted Destine. She only nodded her head.

"What was that?" Clarendon asked as soon as he and his friends left, "You said you hate talking to him"