Chapter 1

McKenna POV

As I'm getting dressed for the day, I spot the fresh cuts on my ribs that I put there last night.

I shake my head, pulling the straps of my swimsuit up over the cuts and onto my shoulders before putting on my shirt and shorts.

I put on my pair of lucky cowboy boots before heading downstairs where my Grandpa Ray is drinking his coffee.

"Mornin' Bee." Grandpa hands me a cooler I'm assuming that is full of snacks and drinks, and I've learned to take the cooler without question.

Almost every single time I go to hang out with my friends my grandpa packs a cooler for us to take so he knows we're at least getting some food in us.

"Mornin' Grandpa." I give him a hug, grabbing a bottle of water out of the fridge just as I get a text from John B.

John B🤪: Hey, you coming over to the Chateau? We're throwing a party and need your help with stuff.

McKenna🤪: Yup, and I also have food and drinks courtesy of Grandpa Ray.

"Alright, I'm gonna head over to the Chateau." I say, and right before I walk out of the kitchen Grandpa stops me.

"I need you home by 12:30 tomorrow afternoon at the very latest, alright kiddo?" Grandpa says, and I give him a weird look. "Don't ask, but it's something good."

"Okay, I'll be home by 12:30." I give Grandpa a salute before heading outside to my car.
***

As I'm setting up some string lights outside, Jj rides up to the Chateau on his dirt bike.

"Hey mon amour, aren't you pretty sure that's dangerous?" Jj asks as I'm balancing on a tree branch and securing some lights with a couple zip ties.

"Jj, you know McKenna's like a spider monkey. She'll be alright, I promise you." Kiara says just as John B walks outside.

"Besides Jj, since when do you speak french?" I smirk, now dangling from the tree branch by my knees.

"McKenna, would you get down, please?" John B asks, and I roll my eyes.

"You guys worry about me too much." I sit up, doing a fancy move to swing myself and I also do a front flip before landing on the ground standing up gracefully.

"I swear one of these days you're gonna give those two boys a heart attack." Kie says, and I grin.

"Well of course, it's my job to keep them on their toes." I wink at Kie before walking inside to get ready for the party that's coming up very soon. I make sure to sway my hips a bit extra as I know John B and Jj are watching for me.