Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Maybe, I'd tell you myself just how much I adore you. But I'll tell you only after I convince myself.

Ash

21st September 2018, Friday
18:30

"Stand still, will you?" I snapped at Mehak.

"I am still. Would you hurry up?" she replied.

I did not bother replying and continued to work. She moved again and I grabbed on a protruding branch. She mumbled an apology and adjusted my feet on her shoulder.

"I should've just asked Kiara," I muttered.

"She would have never agreed to this. Be thankful with what you got," she replied and moved a little.

"Stop moving," I whispered, "please. I want to stay alive."

"Me too. You should have let me climb up while you took my position."

I laughed. That had been the original plan but this dumbo was too scared to stand on my shoulders and break into Vicky's house.

"I don't understand why we have to do this," she said. "Can you not just ask him tomorrow?"

"I asked him today, and the day before, and the day before that and-"

"Okay, okay. I got your point. Just do it."

Vicky had been hiding something from me. He was acting all weird in the school. We rarely met after school and when I tried to get some information, he simply shut me out. Mehak was there today when I met him. Even she said something was off. He was too cheerful for Vicky Singhania. I found bits from here and there. His father was out of the city and his mother was a sweet lady who I saw getting out of the house a few minutes ago.

Sun was casting its last rays on the street and the servants had gone home by now. No one was here except Vicky. I tried to take the easier way by knocking at his door and doing a little talk but he shut it on my face. I was sure I had almost caught him red handed. His startled face told that. Instead of throwing a bucket full of paints at him, I resorted to the second, more complicated way - breaking in. I just had to climb this wall and land into his veranda. The path would be clear then.

"I can't take it anymore," Mehak said, panting.

Her grip slid as I reached for the edge of the wall and attempted to grab the metallic statue attached to it. Her hands left my ankle. She yelped but luckily my attempt did not fail. I laughed at her terrified look.

"Go on, now. Hurry up."

I nodded and jumped inside. The taste of success hit me in the stomach in the form of a stone. The bushes did not take my arrival well. Poor things were stuffing their spiky leaves into my mouth. I gagged. Dusting off the grass and mud, I walked to the door and opened it. The house was dimly lit. I could make out a faint sound of music coming from downstairs. Although I had been here before, the basement had never been explored by me.

"Vicky? Are you down there?" I asked into the darkness.

A light turned on but I saw nothing. I walked down slowly.

"Yo Vicky, this is not funny," I said and opened the door.

"Hi...that rhymed."

I screamed and stumbled back, falling down.

"Shit, sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"But you did," I muttered, rubbing my back. Then, that voice registered and I shot up straight. "Hardik? Hey, what are you doing here?"