Chapter 31

Day 5 after dad's surgery. He still haven't woken up, not even his finger twitched.

I brought my hand to my mouth. I was going to cry. I look down. Mom needed me. Dad needed me. Maybe in a small way, even the company needed me. I couldn't disappoint them. Dabbing the tears, I held dad's hand.

Dad's hands felt so soft, almost papery in a way. The feeling made me think of how water smoothed out the edges of a stone.

"Dad, are you there?" I asked. "Do you know how I went these days?"

I waited for an answer, receiving nothing but the hum of equipment and the beat of the monitor.

"Who am I kidding," I breathed. "I know you don't know."

I held his hand tighter, trying t warm it in mine.

"I helped mom with that stack of documents that kept coming everyday. I made all the meetings and announcements, while mom worked on the papers." I sighed. "Being a president from a huge company is really hard, don't you think?"

Still has no answer. I blinked back tears, worried he'd sense how scared I was.

"Anyway, I'm off to run my sixth advisory board meeting as soon as mom gets back. Honestly, I feel like Felix had the toughest job of anyone today, trying to get mom to go eat, because she fought so hard to stay with you. Felix was insistent though, and mom finally caved. I'm glad that he's here. It's kind of like having a backup parent."

I held his hand a little tighter and leaned in, whispering.

"Please don't make me need a backup parent though, okay? I still need you, and mom... she looks like she might fall apart if you leave. So when it's time to wake up, you've gotta come back, all right?"

I waited for his mouth to twitch or her fingers to move, anything to show that she could hear me. Nothing.

Just then mom tore through the door with Lily on her heels. I wiped my cheeks, hoping no one would notice.

"See?" Lily said. "He's stable. The doctors would come running if anything changed."

"All the same, I prefer to be here," Mom said firmly.

"Mom, you were hardly gone 5 minutes. Did you even eat?"

"I ate. Tell her, Lily."

Lily sighed. "We'll call it eating."

Mom shot her a glare, but Lily just smiled. "I'll see if I can sneak some food in so you won't have to leave."

Mom nodded. "Look out for my girl."

"Of course." Lily winked at me, and I stood up followed him from the room, looking back at dad just to check.

Still asleep.

"You ready dear?" Lily asked.

I shrugged. "No. Let's go."

As we made our way to the meeting room, I nearly asked Lily if she would take me out of here. The day felt so overwhelming already that I wasn't sure I could do this.

No, I told myself. You've sat in on these meetings dozens of times. This is now your sixth meeting. And no one is going to be hard on you today, for goodness sake; your father is still in a coma.

I pulled the door open, with Lily trailing behind me. I made sure to nod at the gentlemen as I passed. Felix looked proud as she watched me sweep around to my father's spot, as did Lily when she settled into the place beside him.

"Good evening." I took a seat at the head of the table, gazing down the thin folder in front of me. Thank goodness.

"How is your father?" Felix asked solemnly.

I should have written this answer on a sign so I could stop repeating it.

Sighing, I answered, "He's asleep still. I'm not sure how serious his condition is at the moment, but mom is staying by his side, and we'll be sure to update everyone if there's any change."

Felix smiled sadly. "I'm sure he'll be fine. He always was a tough one."

I tried to hide my surprise, but I didn't realize Felix knew my father that well.

I nodded. "Let's get through this so I can tell him my sixth day on the job was at least slightly productive."

There were gentle chuckles around the room at that.

• • • • •

As soon as I finished speaking, everyone other than Felix and Lily rose and bowed--rather deeply, I noted.

"Hng!!" I stretched my arms up after that stressful meeting that we had.

"You were wonderful, dear." Lily said, walking up to me.

"I was? Look at my hand." I held it up.

"You're trembling."

I pulled my fingers into a fist, determined to stop shaking. "Even if the agenda was light, it was still a very stressful meeting."

"But you still held on, thoroughly and perfectly," Lily said, patting my shoulder.

"Exactly." Felix smiled. "Your father will be proud of how you stood your ground."

"Should I go back to dad?" I asked, desperate to hear the little monitor announcing that dad was still there, still trying.

"You have a company to run." Felix patted my head. "I'll go and bring you an update as soon as I can."

"Thank you," I called as he exited the room.

• • • • •

I heard a phone call at my bedside table. I pick it up and saw Lucas' name on it.

I answer it, putting it up to my ear. "Hello?"

"Morning wifey..." I heard him mumble.

I laugh at his mumbling voice. "Why you call?"

I heard some rustling sounds. "I just want to hear your voice first, but the bird beat you to it."

"You're lucky enough to be greeted by a bird." I chuckled.

"Are you making fun of me right now?"

"Maybe?" I walk towards the balcony, feeling the cool breeze.

"Are you outside right now?"

"You can tell?"

"Maybe?"

"Isn't early for you to wake up today?"

I heard something sizzling. Is he cooking?

"I wanted to talk to you before you go to sleep."

I smiled. "But that makes me wanting to talk with you more."

"Then let's talk until you fall asleep."

"But how about class?"

"I had no class today.."

I raised a brow. "Really?"

"...."

"Lucas? You can't get away from your beautiful wife."

"Okay, okay.." I heard him sigh.

"Take care, love you hubby!!" I grinned.

"Are you my mother?" He laughed. "Bye, sleep well, wifey."

"Where's my I love you?" I pouted.

"I love you too, wifey!"

I laughed, ending the call. I wish that you didn't call me, hearing your voice making me miss you so much.