Forest of No Return, Part 3/5

Start from the beginning

     Adira suddenly slices off a bunch of branches from the surrounding trees, then uses them and their giant leaves to create a much larger shelter

Adira suddenly slices off a bunch of branches from the surrounding trees, then uses them and their giant leaves to create a much larger shelter. The others rush underneath it eagerly, as the flower dumps over from the weight of the rain and pours water all over Eugene.

When the rain finally stops, Eugene and Adira head up the group. Varian is doing his best to keep up with the rest, but he is quickly losing stamina. Ruddiger climbs onto his shoulder, and taps him on the head. Varian believes his raccoon is trying to comfort him.

"I'll be okay buddy," Varian tells him. But then he sees Ruddiger pointing up, and realizes the raccoon is trying to warn him. Before Varian can react, a strange vine drops down from the trees and wraps around him. He stiffens up, unable to move. "Help!" He screams, but he discovers that everyone else except for Eugene and Adira have been trapped in the vines too.

 "Help!" He screams, but he discovers that everyone else except for Eugene and Adira have been trapped in the vines too

Eugene and Adira hear their screams, and Eugene rushes to help. "Rapunzel!" He shouts worriedly as everyone struggles to get free of the vines.

"The secret to escaping is to relax," Adira says calmly, as Eugene tries to cut Rapunzel free with his sword. "Reacting only tightens their grip."

The others give it a try, and as they allow themselves to relax the vines slip off of them and they are freed. But Eugene continues to strike at the vines holding Rapunzel captive, which is still proving unsuccessful.

"Alright gang, time to fuel up!" Adira says, leading the others away. But Varian stays to make sure Rapunzel gets free.

"Why! Won't! These! Stupid! Vines! Cut!" Eugene shouts, striking the vines with more urgency. Varian just shakes his head.

"Uhh... How much longer, Eugene?" Rapunzel asks.

"Don't think of it as longer, think of it as better," Eugene replies.

"Just relax like Adira said, Rapunzel," Varian says.

Rapunzel begins to do so, but Eugene says, "Would you please avoid relaxing? I'm really tryin' to save face here." He then continues swinging his sword, grumbling to himself. "Stupid Adira and her relaxing vines!"

Rapunzel sighs, then waits until Eugene wears himself out. When he finally quits hitting the vines, she relaxes herself and the vines release her. Eugene just scowls as he follows her and Varian to catch up with the others.

Much to Varian's relief, they finally stop walking and make camp. They build a fire and sit around it, staring into the almost hypnotic flames as Adira makes supper.

"Just when I thought it wasn't possible to like you more, you go and make this delectable blackberry salad!" Lance says to Adira.

"Mmm!" Rapunzel moans happily. "The roasted trout is fantastic! And, Pascal loves his spiced fly medley." The chameleon munches happily on his meal.

"Yeah, well, the cobbler's salty. I'm gonna go extract some drinking water from that tree over there," Eugene grumbles, standing up.

He's the one that's salty, Varian thinks, enjoying his food. This cobbler's delicious!

"That's damaging to the tree, Fish Skin," Adira tells Eugene. "Try cutting a notch in one of those water-bearing vines instead."

Eugene sighs as he walks away from the rest of the group and sits down on what appears to be a giant mushroom.

"This is the best Gouda I've ever had!" Hook Foot exclaims. "It's—It's a taste explosion!"

"You know, I always say... Never leave home without hard cheese," Adira says.

Suddenly, a mouth reveals itself on the 'mushroom' Eugene is sitting on. It opens up wide, then closes around him. He screams as the 'mushroom' begins to hop around happily. Varian has never seen anything like it.

"Oh and, uh, by the way... Watch out for the pup-shrooms!" Adira says.

"Are you kidding me?!" Eugene screams from inside the pup-shroom.

Rapunzel gasps as the pup-shroom finally spits Eugene out, and hops away barking like a dog. She helps him up, and despite being covered in green goo and looking absolutely traumatized, he seems none the worse for wear. Uninterested in the others' conversation, Varian decides to eavesdrop on Rapunzel and Eugene's.

"Eugene, I think it's time that you give Adira a chance," Rapunzel advises him. "She's done this before. She can lead us out of here! It's not your fault you took the wrong way and lost the camper. Everyone still thinks—"

"We'd be lost without you, Adira!" Lance suddenly says.

"You're the king of the wild!" Hook Foot adds.

"What aren't you good at?" Lance asks. "Maybe somebody should take some notes! Eugene, you got a pad on you?"

No, he has goo on him... Varian thinks.

Eugene grits his teeth. "I'll handle this," he says. He stomps back over to the rest of the group, and jerks the cheese out of Hook Foot's hand.

"Hey, my Gouda!" Hook Foot protests.

"Break's over, everybody," Eugene says, throwing the cheese into the fire. "We've got a forest to conquer."

Everyone grumbles. "You've gotta be kidding!" Varian complains.

     But unfortunately, Eugene is not kidding

     But unfortunately, Eugene is not kidding. They all pack up their things, and continue trekking through the forest.