Chapter 35 - Burning

"I can't tell if I'm dreaming you up," he spoke, taking me in at the frame of his door. He appeared ruffled and sexily distressed, wearing old jeans and a white t-shirt that fit him too well.

I laughed softly. "I hope I didn't wake you."

"No. I haven't been able to sleep. Come inside."

And I did. The apartment, sleek and beckoning, was very dimly lit. A single glass of a dark amber liquid stood on the counter of his kitchen, almost illuminated by a spotlight. Next to it were some papers and a pen.

"Rough night?" I asked him, turning around to look at him with a smile on my lips.

"I don't usually drink much, but yes, rough night."

"Why is that? These last couple of essays particularly painful to read?"

He chuckled, coming closer to me as he closed the door behind him. I was just waiting. Hoping he would come to me and take me into his arms, anything to remove the burning in my skin that ached to feel him.

"No. But it's been hours since I last saw you and I've only graded three. I couldn't get you out of my mind, dancing like some purple goddess I couldn't even see."

It was my turn to chuckle. "You were thinking of me?"

"Didn't you see the scotch?" he asked, grinning. "Yes, I was. You don't know how bad I wanted you here. And now you are, and you're still in that dress. You choose the song. The night's not going by without a dance."

I couldn't contain the smiles on my face, or think of a song to dance to with the one person I wanted to dance with all night. But when he came to me and wordlessly took my body into his arms, I no longer had to think.

I swayed, breathing softly by his neck. "Take my breath away. Put that one."

We were dancing moments later, guided by the cadence of the most appropriate song for what he did to me, constantly. I was lost in his eyes, wrapped up in him as he dipped his head lower and stole kisses from my cheeks, my neck, my hair. It was tantalizing, waiting for the capture of his mouth on mine, but I waited patiently, knowing it couldn't be too far away. And I danced with him, never noticing the songs as they ended and became another, soft and melodious in the background.

"How was it?" He asked, as his lips started to graze beneath my ear.

I shivered, eliciting a chuckle from him as the hairs on my skin stood on-end. "It was fun, and very pretty. Everything went perfectly."

"I thought you'd go off with Phoenix, unable to get enough of the dance floor."

"I could have, but I thought... maybe you were lonely," I whispered.

"I was." He pulled me closer, his hands tightening against the small of my back.

"And if I'm honest, I really wanted this. To dance with you."

He smiled, taking away any of the remaining defenses I could have held, and danced us till the end of the song. Steadily he took my hand, and started to guide me toward the balcony. It was a perfectly temperate night, and the stars were shining uncharacteristically bright for the city; for us. I tore my eyes away from the Boston skyline, only to find him already watching me with that steady blue gaze.

Suddenly, his hand reached out to grab my waist, and he pulled me to him in one expert motion, so that I crashed gently against his chest. I molded to him, my arms rising to lock themselves around his neck, and I stood on the tips of my heels to lend him my mouth. He didn't waste another moment, those hard, firm lips taking my senses with them.