Chapter 20 - The Dance

Hi everyone, new and old, and Happy New Year! May 2020 be filled with lots of family, love, and good books for all of us. As you know, I've been gone for a long time, but I took the time to finish this story and will be able to regularly update now. So don't fear, this story will be completed soon! And I also took the time to start planning another story, and to see what new directions I want to take my writing in as I grow and learn. But please bare with me, full time graduate school and work is just insane *laughs in tears*

Thanks you for being here and for reading. It means the world to me. Hope to hear from you! :)
___________________

"Woah. You did a killer job with your makeup, Cece. I'm stunned!" Phoenix gushed, angling my face in different directions to get a better look of my handiwork.

I laughed softly. "I don't do this every day, but I'm not entirely useless. I watched a few videos."

"If I'd've known, I'd have made you do mine."

Not that she had any need for that. Phoenix looked like a princess in her light blue dress, the tulle fabric and the slight iridescent shimmers embedded into the dress shining softly as she moved and caught the light. I had seen her apply each element of makeup with utmost care and precision, taking more time than me in the process. Her eyeshadow was a careful blend of pink, champagne, and light brown. Her lips a plump shade of mauve. Eyelashes that had already seemed full were even fuller now. All I had done was look at pictures and videos of Old Hollywood glamor, with the shining points of my face being the bold red lipstick, thick cat-liner, and elongated black lashes. I thought it would suit the deep red velvet of my dress, which I loved to run my fingers through in admiration whenever I got the chance to.

Luckily Phoenix had styled my hair into thick, loose waves that I allowed to fall naturally down my back, since hair was more her forte than mine. She decided to add some last minute touches to herself before leaving, so I took the moment to head into her kitchen and make myself a cup of tea. She kept a jar of chamomile for me in one of the cupboards, with honey and a kettle that no one used but me, and occasionally, her mother.

"I knew that's what you were doing!" she yelled laughingly from her bedroom when she heard the whistle of the kettle.

I chuckled as I dropped a strainer with the tea into the steaming water, allowed it to steep. Once I prepared it I sat against the plush embroidered pillows of the emerald velvet couch in her living room. Her house, and it's elements of comfort and glamor, never failed to impress.

I had already downed the tea and washed the cup when she entered the living area.

"Sorry I took so long, but I'm ready now." She twirled in a full circle and spread out her hands in a silent tah-dah.

I shook my head in amusement. "You look as pretty as you had before, but now we're late."

"As if you care," she quipped knowingly, taking her keys off the island and our coats before walking to the front door.

Once in her car she completely turned down the volume, which had strangely been playing one of her favorite songs, and started to drive. We hadn't rounded the corner before she said my name gently.

"Yes?"

"I wanted to talk to you about two things, before we go to the dance."

"Of course. Is everything okay?" I asked.

She nodded, keeping her eyes ahead. "Yes. Completely. First and most importantly I want to ask you to have fun tonight and to forget Dean is there, not completely, but somewhat, since I also need you to be careful. If anything bothers you, let me know right away, promise?"