Chapter 33 - Printemps Bleu

Sorry for the wait! Hope this chapter is worth it! And that you're all keeping healthy and safe with your loved ones ❤️ Don't forget to comment your thoughts and leave a vote if you enjoyed. Thank you!
••••••••••••••••••

The combination of excitement and nerves in my body was equal times delicious and nauseating. I was sipping a cup of tea as I did my makeup and hair, as I donned my little black dress and tights. I added my mother's set of silver cluster earrings and matching delicate necklace with slightly unsteady hands. For shoes I chose my favorite heels, comfortable and black.

This was the first real night he was taking me out. A celebratory dinner someplace I still didn't know, but which I assumed to be a nice restaurant when he told me how to dress. I was half out of my mind to see him, but I had never in my life felt the way I felt in this very moment as I waited for his car to drive up in front of my house.

His car appeared the exact minute he had promised, no earlier, no later, and he met me at my front door when he noticed the house was empty of everyone but me.

"You look beautiful, Celia," he said with a smile over his lips. His eyes that had traveled my body now rested on my face.

"Thank you," I smiled. I was at a loss for words. He had never looked as perfect as he did now in a tailored navy suit and ivory shirt, his hair combed back to curl softly at his neck. He emanated warmth and self-confidence, a sweetly intoxicating blend that sent tiny blades of fire to dance on my skin.

We drove in relative silence for over a half hour, speaking only a few words, stealing glances at the other to find smiles over our lips. Quiet music relieved some of the tension in our bodies, in the tight air around us as he held my hand. He was driving into an area lightly covered by forest, but on the path to whatever our destination would be, each tree was illuminated by golden hanging lights.

I was already attentive, my eyes captured by the glow against thick pine and the comforting private cover they gave us. But then it came into view, a beautiful restaurant I'd have mistaken for a cottage if it hadn't been for the wrought iron sign that read Printemps Bleu. The ivory walls were decorated by more twinkling lights and freshly bloomed azaleas and bluebells, announcing the true start of spring.

A murmur of pleasure left my lips. "This is lovely. I've never seen anything like it."

"There are many places I want to take you. This is one."

"I love it. It seems empty," I spoke. "Are you sure it's open?"

He smiled. "Yes. I rented it out for the night. I thought it would be a good precaution to take, considering."

"Considering." I agreed, remembering the part of our world we had left behind only few short hours ago. I gave him a smile, hoping he wouldn't catch the fear of uncertainty in my eyes. It seemed to creep up on me randomly, this fear that he would snap out of it; that this would be taken from me before it was even mine.

He was at my side, escorting me with a hand at my waist as we entered the restaurant. Inside there was a grand piano playing softly from a corner, the smell of fresh bread and decor reminiscent of some elegant French province. The palette of cream and pale blue remained consistent inside the cottage, with pops of colors given off by fresh flowers and greenery. The lights were perfectly dim, mismatched candles shining over tables and furniture to give the area a most magical air. I sighed with contentment, following Jamie and the single waiter that led us to our corner table, just beside a window that gave view to those glimmering pines.