26 | Review: "My Dear Damsel"

Book Title: My Dear Damsel

AuthorPaperThinSkin14

Genre: Fantasy/LGBTQ+

Tags: #magic #romance #royalty

Reviewerbiffyclyro82

CLICK HERE TO READ THIS STORY

Story DescriptionPrincess Sorena doesn't want to get married

Story Description
Princess Sorena doesn't want to get married. Well, it's not that she's opposed to love. But according to her parents, love and marriage don't go hand in hand. So when a suitor comes after her hand, she has no choice but to flee. But after rescuing a princess from the clutches of an evil wizard under the false identity of her sister, she learns that love tends to get its own way in the end.

Review:
My Dear Damsel is accompanied by a cover which includes the outline of the two main characters, with a pink background and the title formatted in gold and cursive, making for a very inviting image.

The story is centred around Princess Sorena, a character who remains funny, witty and incredibly interesting throughout the story. Initially, the story introduces Sorena and her very unfortunate situation in which she is being forced by the hands of her mother (the Queen), to get married to King Edward, a man whom she doesn't know, isn't interested in getting to know and will never want to be with. After a physical encounter with a prince, in which Sorena knocks him out, she steals his clothes, cuts her hair and escapes the very kingdom in which she feels trapped in. She assumes the disguise of the aforementioned prince, Prince Arion, and sets out on a journey that not even her herself knows what will come of it. She just knows that she doesn't want to be under the hold of her mother any longer.

As a result of this brave act, her life takes an interesting turn. She meets Fahj-Dsal, a pseudodragon who comes with a letter, in which a mission follows. The mission is to save Cherry, who is trapped in a tower. Sorena is immediately attracted to her after saving her life, and the story follows the two, through trials and tribulations as well as detailing the evolution of their friendship, feelings and eventual relationship.

Fully fleshed-out and developed characters are fundamental to any successful story and the author has made sure to perfect this craft and the evidence is seen through the varying personalities, and ways of conversing that each character show. I highly commend the refreshing commentary (especially from Princess Sorena) that the author includes in the story as it adds to the high quality of writing and reinforces its strength when it comes to entertaining readers and creating wonder.

The author has made sure to keep the story action-packed as well as unpredictable, and as a result produces a page-turning story. The descriptions throughout the story make for vivid mental pictures and further establish the connection between the reader and the story (and characters). The descriptions lead to a detailed story with a strong plot and overall, makes the story shine.

Thank you so much for allowing us to review your story, PaperThinSkin14!