5. You Are The Only One

I'm new to fluff, but i rlly need to get this idea out of me since Eggs and Winnie should like get married already. Anyway, enjoy this lmao xD

• • •

"There's nothing for you to worry about Eggs," she told him softly, holding both of his hands in hers as she looked at his brown eyes. Eggs sighed heavily, bowing down his head as he closed his eyes, avoiding Winnie's gaze.

They have been sitting on the staircase of the Portley-Rind mansion for a while now, trying to talk out their current situation.

Winnie has been trying to convince Eggs to not be scared of her father in the past hour, as Lord Portley-Rind had invited the young man for dinner with the Portley-Rinds.

And with Winnie's decision to stay at Cheesebridge to help her father with his work instead of going away from town for her education, Eggs can't help but assume that she only stayed in town just for him.

He fears that Lord Portley-Rind would somehow talk to him and lay the blame of what could have been Winnie's future solely on him.

Winnie shook her head, looking at Eggs with a small smile. "Hey," she said softly, and he can't help but look at her when she uses that voice.

"What?" Eggs asked her, knitting his eyebrows in confusion, searching her eyes for his answer.

Winnie sighed, placing one hand on his cheek while the other rested on his shoulder. "You don't have to blame yourself, it was my choice."

That's what she always said, even before the dinner happened.

"Winnie, I can't have you lose your bright future ahead of you, all because of me," he argued in a soft tone, placing his hands on her arms gently.

"I feel like your father would kill me if he ever saw me again," Eggs added, making her sigh tiredly.

"Well, yes, part of why I didn't agree with father to go out of town was because of you," Winnie admitted to him, and that didn't made Eggs feel any better.

"But between a future that I can spend on success and a future that I can spend with you, you know me very well to say that I'd rather choose the latter," she said, before kissing him softly on his cheek, letting it linger for a moment, making him smile.

"If that's what you truly want, then who am I to stop you?" Eggs smirked at her, making Winnie smile, as he wasted no time and wrapped his arms around her, the both of them sighing in content.

As soon as they broke their embrace, he offered his arm out to her, and she giggled at his gentleman-like attitude. "Shall we?" Eggs asked her.

"We shall," Winnie answered with a small wink, as the two entered the Portley-Rind Mansion full of laughter.

"Finally! Mr. Trubshaw and my beautiful young lady!" Lady Portley-Rind greeted to the young couple, as the guards of the mansion closed the huge doors behind them.

As expected, Eggs looked at Lord Portley-Rind with a fearful expression on his face. Even though he had cleared things out with Winnie, he still hasn't explained his side to her father.

Lord Portley-Rind looked at the two with an unreadable expression on his face, as Eggs can hear his own heartbeat ring inside his ears as him and Winnie approached the older couple.

"What took you two so long?" Lord Portley-Rind asked them both.

"It was only a matter of-"

"Personal matters, sir," Eggs cut off Winnie's sentence, making the three Portley-Rinds gasp silently. Winnie elbowed Eggs from the side, making him shout briefly in pain.