30. Fake Dating (vol. 3)

quick drabble i finished during biology class

~

Wybie has been looking at them for a while as he waited on the line in the grocery store.

An old man has been pestering the young girl by the aisle for some time now, and he wanted to interfere before something bad happens.

The old man looks like he's over his 50s. He wore a wrinkly dark gray jacket and pants that looked like they were used as a floor rug for a couple of days.

The girl sitting next to him wore a black dress, with a skirt that went just above her knees, and red shoes. She has long, black hair and blue eyes.

At first, Wybie thought she was just talking to an old male relative of hers, even if he couldn't hear what they were talking about.

But the young girl's brows were knitted tightly. Her mouth twitched every time she spoke, as if she was frightened and troubled.

The second the old man places his wrinkled hand on her thigh was enough for Wybie to walk towards them without thinking twice.

The young girl briefly caught his gaze, and that prompted Wybie to move his feet faster.

Wybie stopped and stood just in front of them. The two turned their heads to him, both with unreadable expressions on their faces.

Wybie gives them a smile. "Is there anything wrong here?" He asks, his eyes darting back and forth between the old man and the young girl.

The old man squints his eyes at Wybie. The young girl must've sensed that the old man was about to say a lie.

"We were just about to finish," she says to Wybie, slightly tilting her head to the side, gesturing to the old man on his seat.

"Hang on," the old man says with the raise of his hand, making the girl freeze on her spot.

The old man gives the young girl a look, before pointing a finger at Wybie. "Who is this, anyway?"

Wybie spluttered. "She's my girlfriend," he says without thinking. The young girl quickly stood up from her seat and made her way beside him.

Wybie lends his arm to the young girl, and she immediately clung to it like her life depended on it. She must've been so scared.

Wybie stared at the girl beside him, before looking back at the old man. "We're going to get go now, sir," Wybie says with a small wave.

The young girl breathed out as the two of them started walking away. "Thank goodness," she says, her voice cracked as if she's about to cry.

"That was a close call," Wybie says with a sigh. "I saw him creeping on you. Was he your relative or something?"

"No." The young girl shakes her head, scooting closer to him.

Wybie looks back to the aisle, only to see the old man gone from his seat. "What were you waiting for in that aisle, anyway?"

The young girl puckers her lips. "I was lost," she says. "And he just sat next to me and told me he wanted to take me to his house."

Wybie gasps, his eyes widening in shock. "No wonder you looked scared."

"If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have made it out of there." The young girl gives him a look. "I'm Agatha," she says.

"Wybie," he says with a pat on her shoulder. "Just don't wander around here on your own Agatha, there are a lot of weirdos out here."

Agatha smiles."Thank you."

Wybie smiles back at her. "Don't even mention it."