33. Under the Stars

Warning! This oneshot might contain scenes that readers under the age of 18 should be wary about. The characters are aged up to 18 for this work. Read at your own risk.

The old woman throws the damp towel on the family table, letting it land with a cold splat. The young couple glances at each other to each other, silently waiting for the elder's response.

Kameyo sighs as she brushes the wet towel against the wood with her two hands. "Come back in the Kaoku before midnight," she simply says, not even bothering to glance at them.

Her grandson's face brightens in excitement. "Thank you, O bāchan!" Kubo bows his head down excitedly, a grin quickly spreading across his face.

"We promise, we won't be out for too long." Agatha bows along with him to pay her respect.

Kameyo glances at Agatha. "Just make sure of that, young woman," she says with a smug look on her face.

The long haired girl straightens her back and smiles at the old woman, and Kameyo returns hers with her own.

"Now hurry along! Go, there's still time before midnight!" The elder shoos a hand to them with a grin and went back to her work.

Kubo looks at the girl beside him and grins, gently taking her hand in his. Agatha smiles back at him, gripping his hand tightly as he leads them both towards the front door.

The chilly breeze of the night blows swiftly across the halcyon village as the young couple makes their way outside of the Kaoku.

The flickering flames within the lanterns hanging by the wooden houses are their only source of light, with the tiny rocks crunching beneath their feet with every step they take.

The warmth on their palms hide within their interlocked hands as they walk beside each other.

When his girl was mesmerized by the beauty of the night, Kubo would bring the back of her hand on top of his lips, and he'd earn the delight of seeing the way her head turned towards him with the sweetest smile on her face.

Agatha looks at the boy beside her as she softly caresses his thumb with her own. "We're going to the fields tonight, correct?" She asks in a calm tone.

The one eyed boy gives her a silent nod, taking a deep breath while wrapping his hand tighter in hers.

Kubo didn't tell her why they were going to the fields tonight. Does he have a surprise for her? She couldn't know what he planned, but the excitement clawed at the back of her mind as they walked closer to the fields.

The cold winds blows against Agatha's short black dress, prompting her to huddle against the taller male beside her for warmth. Kubo wraps an arm around her and pulls her closer.

As they got closer to the fields, Kubo offers a piggyback ride for her. Agatha worries about tiring him, but he insisted with a cute pout on his face. Who is she to resist such an adorable face?

For someone she's known for a long time, Agatha is still amazed by Kubo's strength as he carried her on his back effortlessly. His strong arms carefully holds onto her legs to his hips, as her arms wrap themselves around his torso.

She leans her head against his shoulder with a deep sigh, getting a glimpse of the carefree smile spread across his face that she adores so much.

Agatha smiles at him. "You know I can walk on my own, right?"

Kubo slowly draws his lower lip between his teeth, slightly tilting his head to give her a look.

"I just like holding you that much," he says with a smirk, hoisting her up higher on his back as he continues walking.