Breathe

I slip my sneakers over my socks after I softly land on the ground below my window. The moon expands across the sky with clusters of grey clouds speckling the vacant space. The wind catches a wisp of my hair tossing it gently with the trees. I know Damon is waiting atop the hill. I inhale knowing the reality I face. As I reach the clearing I notice petals strewn about the meadow floor.
"I wasn't expecting you this soon," his voice bellows amongst the tree canopy.
I pivot searching for him. The darkness treads deeper, engulfing my vision.
"The clouds aren't playing in our favor tonight," he steps from within the forest. He gently caresses my cheek with his rough palm.
"I don't think so," I rack my mind for what he could be up to.
"Brit, I love you." His hand forms to my cheek, "and I don't care if this isn't meant to be. I've loved you today; I'll love you tomorrow. I've loved you since the day you say next to me on the bench: the way your hair curled up into a braid. You smiled, and I knew. I knew you had to be the one. Matches aren't real. They weren't meant to make you happy. They're convenience; the government selects the best breeding outcomes, not what you heart aches for. Brittyn, I can't go on without you. You don't have to go with him; you can choose me. Life gives us choices, and I choose you."
I sob allowing my tears to pan their way to my lips. I fall into his arms, knowing I could choose to find shelter here forever. My lips quiver conforming to salty tears as they lick over his words.
"We can leave, together. Take my hand. The government can't chase us our whole lives. We wouldn't feel this way if it wasn't real. This love circulates our bodies; we can't turn our backs now. I know others who have done it, made a choice. We aren't the only ones who feel out of place." He grips my forearms and shakes me.
"But Damon," I putter.
"But what? What else is there?"
"Our families? How can we just leave them? How will we survive? We haven't spent one day out of the city. We don't know what's out there." I shout. My voice echoes louder than it should. I know I should keep quiet, but I don't know if I want to join him.
"Who needs all that anyways? Everyone has a choice. They can join us or stay. We don't need much when we have each other." His voice carries a stern tone. I know he's frustrated. He hoped I would jump aboard immediately. And maybe I would have, if...
"Why aren't you saying yes?" He drops his hands. His back faces me now. My tears sting against my skin.
Lightning touches the earth in the distance, thunder erupts soon after. A crackle of rain pelts my face. It washes my tears, soaking my frame. Damon continues walking away.
"Damon!" I screech. Another sob slips through my teeth.
"What?" He grunts from his clenched jaw.
"What if I stay?" I close the distance between us.
"You'll lose your free will. You'll be with him. You'll live exactly how they want you to, forever wishing you hadn't." He places both hands on my cheeks, "and I'll be damned if you live that life."
I can sense my time ticking down. His patience scrapes the bottom of the forest floor. His hair seeps of the rain water. He pushes his lips against mine. The salty tears from not only my eyes, but his as well, cause me to bite my tongue. I throw my arms around his neck giving him the opportunity to lift my waist. He tosses me on to the roses and envelopes me with his presence.
"I love you," I spurt through the darkness.
"And I love you." And with that he collapsed against my warm body. He cradled my head in his hands, carefully placing it on the ground. He lets his hands trace my hip bones, and casually moves up to my ribcage. My fingertips dance along his spine while my lips trickle with his.