The Outside

I wake up feeling the burn of yesterday's adventures throughout my limbs. My head throbs, and my marking flashes. I slip into the shower in hopes it'll ease my soreness. Once I finish I pick through my waist-length hair. Feeling defeated, I leave it as its natural, bird's nest curls.

As I wobble down the steps, Emery comes flying through the doorway.

"BRITTYN! It happened! It's finally here!" She showcases her jagged tattoo encompassing the back of her wrist. Today it swirls with orange and flicks of red.

"Wow! I'm sure you'll find yours in no time," I smile knowing it's probably true.

"Don't worry, yours will show up soon enough," Though I know the words she spoke were sincere, I can't help but fill with disbelief. After all, her eyes haven't left her wrist since she got here.

"What's going on?" My mother floats down the stairs. Her hair twists into a tidy bun atop her head.

"I got my call!" Emery's smile stretches.

"What? That's awesome! This calls for a celebration. Why don't we all go do something tonight?" She pours her coffee into a travel mug and stuffs her meal package into her brief case.

"Sounds splendid!" Emery cooed.

My mother smiles pleasantly and wriggles her fingers as she steps out the door. Emery, who is practically beaming, settles onto the kitchen stool. Slightly aggravated, I pull out my meal package, waffles, and scarf it down.

"This is a dream come true," Emery hoots as we board the train.

"Yep. It's fantastic." Damon rolls his eyes.

"You know, you two can sit together. My marking and I need a little alone time." Emery struts down the car leaving Damon and me alone.

"That's exactly what we need too," he teases.

"She won't shut up about it," I sigh taking my seat.

"That's the worst part," he agrees and sits.

"When do you think yours will come?" I wonder, wishing it wouldn't, wishing mine hadn't.

"Hopefully never," he smirks and puts his arm around me.

His fingers trace shapes burning holes through my shirt onto my skin. I look out at the faces of our peers; some participate in mumbled conversations while others keep to themselves. No one touches. No one flirts. Two girls to my left gush about their recent matches. Apparently, they have recently encountered their partners. Damon has his eyes closed. His hand still rubs my arm. The train ride goes quicker than I'd like.

The school building stretches across several acres. It's one of the older buildings in our establishment. The stone columns were remnants of the previous civilization. Our founders built around them intending to add a flare of the old life. The court yard contains greenery and benches, but is rarely utilized; most students spend their time in training labs. In secondary school individuals proceed at their own rates, so most students work at completing their courses before they meet their match.

Emery skips my way and latches onto my arm. I give her a cheesy smile, clutching her hand.

"Let's try to finish our set today?" She urges.

"Why are you suddenly in a hurry?" I question. Before, she enjoyed spending time on our courses.

"I want to finish in case I happen to bump into my match," She twirls her hair around her index finger.

"Oh," I hide my grimace.

"Hey guys! I've moved into your skill set!" Damon gloats, catching up with us.

"Good, maybe you can keep her company then," Em stated and walked off.

I don't think she enjoyed my reaction. I don't think I'm ready to move on yet.

"What's wrong with her?" Damon wrinkles his brow.

"What isn't?" I joke.

By the time I've finished my regular-speed courses, I've let Emery's little episode go. I know I'll have to deal with her tonight, so there's no use in arguing. When I reach our usual bench, which has recently been painted lime green, neither Damon or Em are there. I take a seat and pull my legs to my chest.

"Hello Brittyn Leonard, how are you on this lovely afternoon?" Matt Griswold, a classmate since starter school, nestles into the seat beside me.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" I inquire. Matt isn't the type to approach one without a reason.

"Nothing, I just wanted to talk," he smiled.

"Ha," I scoff, rolling my eyes.

"But seriously, I was wondering if Emery has been called?"

"This morning, actually," I was already uninterested in this conversation.

"Oh, do you think she'd still like to go out with me sometime?"

"Bug off, Matt." Damon nudged his shoulder.

Matt's face turned red as he crinkled his nose. After a minute or two he admitted defeat and shuffled off. The train must be late; I can't see it in the distance.

"That was odd," Damon sits where Matt previously sat.

"The train is late," I state.

"You're right. Today is full of weird." He shakes his head.

I study his face. Damon isn't the easiest person to read. His lips are pursed and his brow furred, as usually. His blonde hair needed a cut last week. His blue eyes have flecks of gold near the pupil. He has light blonde eyelashes that stretch longer than most. His gaze catches mine. His mouth parts revealing his pearly teeth. The top row aligns perfectly, and the bottom is slightly crooked.

"Quit staring at me!" He reached for my shoulder and gently pushed.

"I wasn't!" I lie.

"No need to deny. I know you've fallen," he winks.

The trains screeches to a halt, five minutes late.