Starlight

When I open the door, Marli is sitting at the counter busy on her tablet. The boys, nor are my parents anywhere in sight. I remember it is a full, and required, day of school and work for them.

"Why aren't you at school?" I questioned.

"I faked sick," she shrugged.

"Why?" I walked up to the monitor and scrolled through my lunch options.

"Technically, I don't have to attend. I can do my work here as easily as there." She waves her hand in the air.

"You have a point." I finally settle on a chicken sandwich with a fruit salad side dish.

"Besides, you're ditching too," she points her index finger accusingly.

"Actually, I've finished my schooling." The monitor spits out my silver meal package.

"Lucky," her face sinks.

"I take my test Saturday," I announce digging into my sandwich.

"What do you think the outcome will be?" On her tablet she connects matching tiles.

"My teachers have been pegging me as governmental," I sigh.

"At least you'll know secrets," she shoots me a sly smile.

"Definitely a bonus," I nod.

"Will you have to move?"

"I won't know until I receive my results. Plus, people get transferred all the time." I finish my sandwich and start on my fruit.

"True, especially when they get matched." She closes her studies on her tablet and fiddles through photographs.

"So if I tell you something, will you keep it a secret?" I put down my fork.

"Anything for my sister," she punches my arm.

"I think Damon and I are matches," I smile nervously.

"Seriously?! This is the best news ever! We need to celebrate!" She jumps off her stool and throws her arms up.

"Well, he wanted to take me out tonight," I mumble.

"Let me select your outfit!" She clasped my hand and tugged me toward our room.

I curled up onto my bed and sat one of my lavender pillows on my lap. Marli marched to the closet doors parallel to our beds. She yanked the doors open, revealing the articles we've accumulated through the years. We're instructed to trash used clothing into the compounder, and select new attire from the monitor. Marli and I enjoy saving our outfits, "it's for the memories," we continuously tell our parents.

"How about this?" She tosses a pink skirt, slightly resembling a tutu, my way.

"How about no?" I laugh.

"Fiiiine. Then this?" She showcases a brown knit sweater, something we both wear regularly.

"I kinda want it more dressy," I admit.

"Yes!" She smiles widely and digs to the back of our closet, "I've been saving this one." She pulls out a royal blue dress.

"That's the one."

"Try it on!" She bellows.

The fabric hugs my chest and ribs. The sleeves stop just below my elbows. The skirt shoots out in all directions and flies up when I twirl. It is mostly backless with a high neckline.

"Beautiful," Marli clutches her hands to her mouth.

"Hair up?" I tilt my head in the mirror and fan out the skirt.

"Hair up." Marli hands me gold heels and her favorite pair of gold drop earrings.

I gather my straightened hair into a tidy tail. She helps me paint my fingernails a metallic gold and my toenails an electric blue. Marli sketches blue wings onto the corners of my eyes and touches up my mascara.

Marli spends ages applying and reapplying my makeup.

"It needs to look perfect!" She shouts after the sixth time.

I sigh audibly and allot her another try. She rubs her beige powder across my face slowly blending it as she goes.

"Stop moving!" She jerks my face into place.

"Hurry up. It's been hours. He'll be here any minute!" I urge.

She rolls her eyes and continues to move blush in circular motions around my cheeks. Finally she moves to my eyelids. I assume she is attempting the wings once again.

"Yes!" She cheers and moves to my left eye.

"Thank heavens." I echo.

"Hold still," she threatens. Her pencil finishes tracing the last of my lash line.

"Hey, Damon is here," Xander shouts from the kitchen.

"Marli!" I yelp

"Mascara!" She nimbly runs the wand through my lashes.

I rush down the staircase and stumble on the last step, falling into Damon.

"Wow there," he chuckles helping me stand.

"Ready?" I smile and face the door.

"Most definitely." Her puts his arm out, allowing me to link mine through.