Shake It Off

The walk lead us to a eighty story building, one of the more luxurious condominium towers. The building consisted of mostly glass with titanium trim. Bushes of white geraniums erupted from silver pots lining the courtyard. Magenta and periwinkle pigmented peonies twisted into a swirl in flower beds throughout the lawn.

Theo clasped the metallic door handle and ushered me in. The lobby welcomed me with warm neutrals, a vast difference from the outside facade. Brown leather couches bubble up from the center of the floor. Along the right wall were several elevators.

"Almost there," Theo clutched my hand and headed toward the elevator.

I settled on the middle elevator and hit the up arrow, assuming the building had no basement.

"No, this way," he pushed on a stairwell door farthest from the elevators.

He raced up the first flight with me in tow. Several flights passed and I found myself alone.

"Theo?" I called out as I reached the last staircase.

"Damn you're fast!" He panted climbing the last steps.

"I run a lot," I shrug.

"Yeah, so do I," he seemed a little upset that I beat him.

He reached forward and nudged the metal door open. It screeched grudgingly. A flash of sun blinded me until my eyes adjusted. The door opened onto the roof. The entire area sprawled with greenery.

"This is amazing," I gasped turning my attention toward the row of rose bushes.

"Wait until you see the view," Theo took my hand and pulled me to the farthest edge.

Below you could see every building framed by streets and train tracks. Across the horizon, the mountainous peaks jabbed into pink and orange clouds. The sun quietly sunk between two slopes.

"Almost as breath-taking as you," Theo comments.

I blush realizing my mouth sat agape, and that he's had his eyes on me. I fixate my gaze onto his face. He has a little stubble around his jawline. His lips are slightly parted. His eyelashes reach to vacant space in thick, long spurts. His curled hair sweeps to the left.

"Thank you," I fumble on my words, "You're beautiful too."

He laughs, and I instantly realize how ridiculous I sound.

"You've had a rough day." He places his arm around my shoulder. And I let him.

"You have no idea," I sling my arm around his back.

He guides me back to the door, stopping to place a flower behind my ear. This time, we take the stairs at an even pace. Several floors down he trudges down the hall. He halts at apartment 64E.

"What're we doing here?" I question.

"I live here," he twists the key in the lock and pushes the door open for me.

"Are you serious? This place is amazing." His apartment matched the lobby, mostly warm neutrals. A leather, wrap-around couch sat in the center of the room.

"Job perks, I guess," he shrugs, and lounges on the sofa.

"I'll definitely need one of those," I tease. I comfortably take the place next to him allowing his arm to rest on my shoulder.

"What's your favorite smell?" He blurts.

"Why?"

"I don't know. Just something to get to know you."

"I guess I'd have to say rain. I love running in the rain. I love sitting in the rain. I love leaving my window open when it rains. What about you?" I smile.

"I love the smell of fires. It's something we don't encounter often, but when we do, it's beautiful. It's strong. It's lasting, yet it fades away so easily." He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.

With that we let the conversation die down. I settle onto his chest, and he wraps his arms around me. For a minute I forget about matches. I forget about the assessment. I even forget about Damon.