Jump then Fall

As soon as my father turns off his reading lamp, I carefully creep down the staircase. I hold my running sneakers in my hand, in hopes my socks will be quieter. After tying my laces, I go out the living room window since the door is triggered with alarms and time stamps.

The crisp spring air welcomes my bare legs. I push the sleeves on my jacket to my elbows. My previously bundled hair, now cascades down my chest and back. This is it; I lift my arms above my head and fan them back into place. I take off sprinting. The longer I tread, the more rapid my feet move.

I bolt toward the east mountain, our favorite. Ahead I see the concrete arch welcoming me from my long term absence. I fly through the trees letting the freshly moistened air circulate through my lungs. Soon I hear another set of feet keeping pace with my own. I set into longer strides and shoot a grin his way.

Two miles later we break into the clearing. Damon tackles me to ground. The soft grass cushions my landing as I erupt in laughter. He rests his heaving body on mine for a second before he rolls onto his back beside me. His arm sits beneath my neck as he gasps for oxygen.

"Geeze, you're out of shape," I exhale, wiping my forehead.

"No! We just haven't done this in awhile," he denies.

"And you don't run on your own?" I tease. I take in a deep breath.

"Leave me alone!" He lightly smacks my stomach. He switches to his side, facing me, and sets his head onto his propped arm.

"I've really missed this," I sneak a glance at his face.

"Aw, you miss our alone time," he mocks.

"I meant this place and the stars," Here the trees open up and show case the studded black curtain.

"Whatever, I know you meant me," he pokes my nose and pulls me onto his chest.

"So what if I did?" I inquire, raising my eyebrows.

"Well," he trails off, tracing designs along my back.

I decide to let it go and just enjoy our fraction of an instant. Beneath my cheek I can feel his heart pounding. I concave into his body. He wraps his arms around me, squishing me into a tight hug.

"Ow! Way to ruin a movie moment," I push against his chest.

"How would you know? We don't watch movies?" He releases his grip.

"Well, we've read about them in history," We don't have the same type of entertainments pre-Perdene. We have books and artwork, but I've always fantasized about movies and music.

Damon stood up and headed toward the lake nearby. He picked at the seam of his shirt and pulled it over his head, tossing it to the side. He kicked off his sneakers and stuffed his socks inside. He shot me a toothy smile and dropped his shorts. I rolled my eyes; he dove into the water.

"Are you gonna join me?" He splashed the water in my direction.

"Fiiiine," I undress quickly, focusing on not making a show for him.

I let my legs dangle into the water and rest my bottom along the edge. Damon reached out and grasped my foot.

"No! Don't! Please!" I begged.

He tugged on my legs and pulled my torso into the frigid water. I pleaded again, frantically gripping the grass.

"Too late!" He yanked my waist and dragged me in.

"I hate you," I hurriedly gathered my hair into a sloppy bun.

"No use in that," he let his hands find their place on my shoulders.

"You're a brat," I scold.

"Wrong again," he pushed me underneath the surface.

I popped up immediately struggling to breathe as I coughed up water.

"Now I really hate you!" I sent a splash his way and giggled.

I floated onto my back. I let the water gently rock me as I focused on my breathing. I could feel Damon swimming laps around me.

"Why are you such a maniac tonight?" I ask. I twisted upright letting my legs circulate to keep me afloat.

"You know, in this lighting, you look absolutely breath-taking," he framed my face with his hands.

"Don't flatter me," I sneer, but part of my hopes he continues.

"I'm serious." He inched closer to me.

"Whatever," I wrapped my arms around his neck as his settled around my waist.

"Then don't believe me," He leaned in.