Out of the Woods

Damon falls back onto his elbows. A smile grows encompassing his face. Goose bumps form along my skin shaking from the rain. I cover myself in my dripping clothes and stand. Damon jumps to his feet.
"Where are you going?"
"Home." I slip back into my sneakers and sprint back into the trees. My chest sinks realizing the pain I've inflicted. I gasp for air, choking on each breath. I nuzzle my knees to the dirt. My fingers scrape at soggy wood chips and mud.
"Britt?" Damon pulls me to my feet. I shiver.
"Why won't you go?" His brows crinkle.
"I can't."
His mood plummets as his face reflects my actions. I stumble back.
"You said you loved me!" He cries.
"And I meant it," my voice barely raises above a whisper.
"Then why are you staying?" His voice booms shaking me from my thoughts.
"I never wanted to hurt you, Damon. I just have to stay."
"You have a choice. No one controls you anymore. You don't have to do what everyone else does."
"What about your match? Don't you ever want to meet her?" My eyes shift to my surroundings. I can no longer face what I've caused.
"She means nothing if she isn't you. I could never love her the way I love you." He moves in my direction, and I step to the side.
"Damon, I can't just leave."
"If you're scared, there's no reason to be. You have a choice. You deserve to love who you choose."
"And I have made my choice." I take off toward my home before he can utter another word.