The father of Amarah Clarisse dela Cuesta is the reason why my brother, Maximus Villegas II, is six feet below the ground.

I clench my fist with the memory. If I agree to this, I won't just marry Carrie but also make that man's family's lives a living hell. And with that, I made a mental note of meeting my dad in his study again later.

Carson, another basketball player passed me a warm coffee, "Want some, man?" He asked.

I nodded, "Thanks." I muttered and opened the cup, he sat beside me when Kent went away, I noticed the faint sadness in his eyes as he stare at his cup, "What's the prob?" I casually asked.

Still not looking at me, he smiled sadly, "Well, Lyka wants us to break up, but I don't. I'm kinda torn." He sighed.

I nodded letting him continue, "Her reason is that I'm too busy with basketball, which is I'am. I said I'll make it up for her and make her happy again. But then..." The small smile a while ago vanished, "But then she said that us breaking up will make her happy."

"Gusto kong gawin, Max, pero paano naman ako?"

Love is indeed a weird thing. Love can be selfish, but it can also be selfless. It can be  beneficial, but also disadvantageous.
It's really up to us which role will we play, in between being the one who leaves or the one being left.

I remember Carrie and I, we've been in the similar situation many times, but in the process we agreed not to make break ups an option. I hope we keep it that way. Or she keeps it that way until I tell her what I'm about to do.

I put a hand on Carson's shoulder, "Man, the right woman will never choose this option for the both of you." I said. I'm not really good with giving advice but I really do try my best.

He shook his head, "I will make this work. Kahit na magmakaawa pa ako, gagawin ko. I want her, man. I'll do everything to keep her mine."

And I don't know if my friend is selfish or selfless. Maybe a little bit of both.

Hindi nagtagal ay dumating na si coach, isa-isa niya kaming binati, sa likod niya ay ang mga bago naming recruit na players. "Okay team, I congratulate you once again for the success of our tour." Coach declared, we cheered.

"Today is dedicated to all of you." He continued. "To my current team, congratulations." He repeated and faced the new players, "And to my future team, welcome."

And with that, we decided to get to know the new recruits, we found out how hard the training is from the school they came from so we assured them nothing will be the same here.

The hours passed and the staffs are finally done arranging the platform, isa-isa na din nagdatingan ang mag-aayos ng mga table sa gilid. The whole gym is now decorated with huge navy blue banners with gold balloons sprinkling the floors and ceilings. Coach summoned us on the back stage to wear our varsity jackets and uniforms.

Our Administrator graced us with her presence and congratulated us as well.

We stayed in the backstage for a couple of minutes, Ms. Santiago started her short introduction for us until Coach Rob finally took over to present us.

The little event went on, when I stepped into the stage I was greeted with cheers and applause, I scanned the benches surrounding above me, searching for only one person.

When it ended, every students are free to congratulate us personally, I spotted carrie on one of the benches and made my way on the left stairs, a bunch of people get in my way to greet, of course I thanked them but right now I only have one goal in mind.