Chapter 40

"How did you do that?" Jeno asked his best friend as they were headed back to the male dorms. Jaemin shrugged his shoulders.

"I was just following Sejung when she was following Haechan. It just so happened that she was so focused on following Haechan that she bumped into someone, so I used to moment to open up the zipper of her backpack. When I pulled her wallet out, I exchanged it with my phone so the weight wouldn't change." Jaemin explained. Jeno shook his head.

"Damn, I knew you were good but I didn't know you were THAT good." Jeno said, chuckling.

"I don't know, I never liked standing out in crowds anyways, so I guess it was just second nature." Jaemin said, smiling to his best friend.

...

After their game and lesson with Jungwoo, Rena had returned to the interrogation room. Today, only Taeil was waiting inside.

"Don't expect too much." Rena told him as she picked up the folder from his hands.

"Don't worry, I never am." Taeil responded.

Rena walked into the room, the siren chained down to the table like always. He looked up to meet her eyes.

Over the time that the siren had been here, his well-being was definitely going down the drain. There were dark circles under his eyes, his hair dishelved, and his skin pale and was starting to shrivel up due to lack of water. He glared at her as she took her seat.

"You look different." The siren said, his voice hoarse, referring to her neutral coloured clothing. Rena simply chuckled.

"Have you seen yourself?" Rena asked him. He simply leaned back in his seat.

"What do you want?" The siren asked him.

"Are you willing to talk today?" Rena asked. She was expecting him to stay silent but instead, he said the opposite.

"Yes."

Alright, we might be going somewhere today. Rena leaned forward in her seat, opening the folder.

"You were spotted in the Underground City. Were you there to meet someone?" Rena asked.

"Yes, two faeries." That matched what Yangyang had said.

"Were you discussing important matters?"

"Yes, we have a plan." A plan?

"A plan?" Rena asked. The siren hesitated.

"A plan with Dongwook." That's not good.

"Who's Dongwook?" Rena asked, playing dumb. The siren raised an eyebrow, giving her an are you serious look.

"You're dumber than I thought." The siren said leaning back in his seat.

"You didn't answer my question." Rena said. The siren stared at her.

"I can't believe they sent me someone as dumb as you." The siren muttered. Rena scoffed before motioning to one of the guards.

"Get him a glass of water after he's locked up." Rena requested. The siren immediately sat straight again.

"Miss I-"

"You heard what I said." Rena snapped. The guards exchanged looks as Rena closed her folder, getting up. "Let me know if they don't give it to you. I'll see you tomorrow."

Rena left the interrogation room, leaving the siren with his mouth hanging open with the guards. As Rena closed the door behind her, she saw Taeil gripping the counter in front of him, knuckles white.