Forest of No Return, Part 1/5

Start from the beginning

     "Eh, anybody who's spent time in the woods knows that Slayer Wolves have extremely sensitive hearing," Eugene says as they continue to talk about his brave save that day

"See that teamwork?" Lance says. "I distract them by pretending to cry while you chase 'em off." He chuckles, but Varian hears him whisper to Eugene, "Thank you!"

"I just did what had to be done," Eugene says. Varian and Cassandra exchange glances, and roll their eyes at Eugene's fake modesty. "Now come on. I'll show you how to extract drinking water from a tree trunk!"

Suddenly, the horses stop, unable to pull the caravan any farther. Ahead of them lies a gloomy, swampy body of water. Varian has never seen water look so green and foreboding.

"Okay, so the black rocks have led us to a swamp," Eugene says. "But on the bright side..." He pauses, then adds, "I was hoping someone would finish that sentence for me. This place is terrible."

As everyone gets out of the caravan to observe the swamp, Shorty walks up to the water, humming to himself happily. He takes a canteen and begins filling it with the green swamp liquid.

"Uh, I don't think you wanna drink that, Shorty," Eugene says as Varian wrinkles his nose.

"You know what they say: One man's swamp water is another man's 'I'll drink it'!" Shorty replies.

     "Okay then... We should probably keep a closer eye on Shorty for a while, just in case," Varian suggests.

"So, 'king of the wild,'" Cassandra says to Eugene. "Any suggestions on how to cross this thing?"

Eugene ponders this for a moment. He walks closer to the water, picks up a stick, and pokes it in. But suddenly a long tentacle flies up, grabs him by the arm, and begins to pull.

"Eugene!" Rapunzel screams worriedly.

Varian acts quickly. He pulls a vial from his pocket, and throws it at the tentacle. The liquid inside the vial spills out on the tentacle, burning it. With a screech from whatever creature the tentacle belongs to, it lets go of Eugene and retreats back into the swamp.

     "Heh, no need to thank me," Varian says with a proud smirk, puffing out his chest slightly.

Eugene jumps back, stammering fearfully. "Looks like it's too deep!" He shouts. "So, I think we're going to have to backtrack to get through this. It'll add a day to our journey, but it's the only way."

"I had no idea people from Corona were such... quitters," they all hear a familiar voice say. All of a sudden, the sound of a slicing blade rings through the air and a large tree next to the swamp splits in half, falling over the water and making a perfect bridge.

"Whoa," Varian says. He is impressed, but also slightly startled.

"You know, I always say... If you can't go through something, go over it," Adira says, stepping up onto the tree-bridge she just cut. She balances her sword made of black rock across her shoulders.

"Wow!" Lance says in amazement, clutching his hands to his chest. "I guess chivalry's not dead!"

"I told you I'd be around if trouble came your way," Adira says, jumping off the bridge and landing in front of the group. "And, well, here I am. Your new guide."

Varian takes notice of the expression on Eugene's face when she says this. He does not seem happy about the idea of Adira taking over.

"Yeah, you were a real help with those Slayer Wolves back there," Hook Foot says, folding his arms.

"You be quiet!" Lance scolds him defensively, and then continues admiring Adira.

Cassandra clears her throat loudly to get Rapunzel's attention, then pulls her aside to talk privately. Varian decides to join them.

"Rapunzel, we talked about this. I don't trust this woman," Cassandra says. "She keeps popping up out of nowhere, and I don't like it!"

"Yes yes yes," Eugene says, popping into the conversation. "I second that. Plus, we don't need her. Another person will just slow us down, particularly with all the—"

 Another person will just slow us down, particularly with all the—"

"Oh I don't know," Adira says, jumping in with them. "You're gonna need her. She's the only one who can get you through the deadly Forest of No Return." She announces the last part loud enough for everyone to hear.

As if on cue, a deep, eerie growl echoes from somewhere inside the forest, giving Varian chills. "I'm just gonna pretend I didn't hear that."

"Few have made it to the other side of the forest alive, and I'm one of them," Adira continues. "The first time I crossed, I had nothing but a dagger and a handful of nuts. And I had bronchitis."

Lance gasps. "You're amazing!" He wheezes.

"I know," Adira whispers with a smirk.

Eugene rolls his eyes. "So, lookie here Adira. I appreciate the bridge assist, but I'm pretty sure I can lead us through a forest."

"Forest of No—" Adira begins dramatically.

"Yes, I'm familiar with its name. Thank you," Eugene interrupts.

Suddenly they hear the eerie growl again. "Okay, why does that happen every time she says its name?!" Varian wonders aloud.

"Wait!" Rapunzel says, placing her hand on Eugene's shoulder. "Eugene, listen... I know you grew up in the wilderness, and I have complete faith in you, I really do. But can it hurt anything to have another expert along?"

"Oh goodie, another expert..." Cassandra says sarcastically.

"Rapunzel, you're actually gonna go along with this?" Varian asks.

"Adira wants to help us," Rapunzel says. "I say we let her."

     Eugene is silent for a long time before reluctantly agreeing

Eugene is silent for a long time before reluctantly agreeing. "Fine!" He says, stomping toward the caravan.

"Excellent!" Adira says with a smile. "You've made the only decision there is. The right one."