11

A month later I have managed to see more of Italy than I have of the States during my entire life. Xander took me everywhere I wanted to go, while taking care of my every need. He wasn't treating me like a princess, but a Queen.
I've been the happiest I've ever been with him. For the past month, the outside world seemed to fade away. It was just Xander and I, in our own little perfect untainted bubble.
But I was always a sucker for fairytales, because they always had happy endings. This isn't a fairytale though, this is the real world.
Finally, the jet we've been travelling in is set for New York City. Xander sits beside me, his arm resting inches from mine.
Our relationship has been odd to say the least for the past month. He's been keeping his distance from me, but is always close no matter what. We'll share brief touches sometimes, and even kisses. It depends on how comfortable with him I am at the moment. But he never complains to my different desires. Not ever.
His feelings for me are clear, so are mine for him, but he knows that something is holding me back . . . fear.
Fear about what happened, fear about what could be, fear about everything between us.
We come from two completely different worlds. He has his own jet to fly him around the world while I can barely afford a metro bus pass. I don't know how I can fit into his world while not changing who I am. I'm a small country town girl with an accent I try so hard to hide, with less than adequate education, that knows more about how to milk a cow than to find the right heels for a charity event.
I know if we end up together we won't last, and it will be my heart breaking.
It's my heart breaking now.
I take a deep breath and watch the clouds move past us through the window. I'm too stuck in my own head to take in the beauty of the ocean below me.
"I'm going to ask the stewardess for a drink," Xander speaks, standing from his seat. "Would you want one?"
I offer a small smile and shake my head no. He leaves and I'm left staring at his back.
How can I be so lucky? A man like that, smart, handsome, successful, is in love with me. But I keep pushing him away because I'm afraid. Of what? Of a possible heart break? What about how happy he could make me? Shouldn't that overcome the fear?
I chuckle to myself, realizing how stupid I've been the past couple months. Christmas is getting closer and I should be spending that time being happy with Xander while I can.
With a newfound direction, I smile to myself and pick up a copy of the New York Times, that Xander loves reading so much. I figure I should make an effort as well, try to take interest in his likes, hobbies, and work.
I flip to the financial page, trying to make sense of it all. I only get one paragraph in when Xander comes back and yanks the newspaper from my hands.
My look of shock meets his look of fear. "What the hell was that for," I yell. "I was reading that!"
"I know," he mumbles, folding the stack of papers up. "It's just . . . I wanted to talk with you."
I raise an eyebrow in question. "So you grabbed the newspaper from my hand as if it were on fire."
"Aria," he begins.
"What," I ask suspiciously. "You're acting really weird. Tell me what's going on."
"Nothing is going on!"
"Really," I laugh dryly. "You want to start lying to each other again?"
Xander stares at me for three long seconds before taking a deep breath. Slowly, with shaking hands he unfolds the newspaper. "I don't want you to hate me for this."
He hands me the paper hesitantly. I grab it from him, like he grabbed it from me, with a force that makes your bones shake. I huff and look at the top headline.
'Heir to Stavros Empire Finds New Beau, What Does Ex Fiance Have to Say About It?'
At first I believe it to be some sick joke so I start laughing uncontrollably. My eyes briefly brush over Xander's, and that's when I know it's real. His eyes are wet with unshed tears and wide as he takes in my reaction.
Slowly, my laughter comes to a stop. I stare at Xander, then at the paper, then at Xander. This can't be real. Fiance? Seriously?
My eyes skim over the multitude of paragraphs.
Ex finance Emily
French model
Engaged to be married two years ago
Left at altar
Heartbroken
Turned into playboy
These words each cut at my heart, digging deeper each time.
"I wanted to tell you," Xander whispered. "I just didn't know how." He kneels before me, his head bowed in submission.
"You . . . didn't know how?"
"I know I messed up Aria," he chokes. "But please don't leave me."
My eyes meet his. I can see his whole heart within his eyes. He's laying it bare for me.
"Leave you? You think I would leave you for this? We're . . . not even together." Those words cut us both. It sends him back on his feet, shaken to the core.
"Oh," he whispers.
I sigh,
"I meant that I have no right to be upset with you. I moved on and so did you. That's okay."
Suddenly, without notice, his lips are on mine. Seconds later, and too early, he pulls away, making me want to go with him.
"You have no idea how much I love you."

To be continued... next chapter will be updated soon. Only a couple left.

Blackmailing Aria [Book 1 of the Stavros Series]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara