6

In the morning, I wake up to the smell of waffles and sausage. As much as I would like to stay hidden underneath the covers, my stomach is begging me to put some food in it, so I stumble into some fresh clothes for the day, my eyes barely opening.
When I make it downstairs I'm surprised to see the source of the food is placed on a cart. I expected it to be made by Xander at least. But he's sitting at the table, his laptop in front of him and a cup of coffee in his hand.
Of course. He's a billionaire. Billionaires don't make their own food.
I walk past him bristly, heading for the food cart. I'm still not over last night.
My invisable cloak proves to not work, as he says, "Good morning."
I swipe an apple from a bowl filled with a fruit from every color of the rainbow. I plop it in my mouth, letting it hang out as I grab a plate and start loading it with everything that looks delicious. Which is everything.
Xander coughs behind me, but I pay him no attention. I'm more focused on trying to not spill anything, as my plate runs out of room.
"Are you seriously going to ignore me because of what happened last night?" He asks me crossly.
I freeze in my midst. The apple falls from my mouth, rolling onto the floor and under the cart. I hear his chair scratch against the floor, but my body won't let me move, or speak.
His fingers barely brush against me elbow before I snap and turn around on my heel. "I accept your deal," I blurt. "But that does not mean that we are dating or anything of the sort. You said that we would spend four months together, so that's what we'll do. I'll be happy to stay here." I look around the marble floor, the fancy furniture, and the million dollar view. Who wouldn't want to stay here?
"Hmm," Xander says, biting his lip. "I don't really remember giving you an option to say no. I mean it's great that you said yes, but no was never an option."
"So this is blackmail!" I accuse, jabbing his chest with my finger.
He shrugs his shoulders and laughs a bit. "I never said it wasn't."
"I should have known," I mutter. I turn back around and grab the plate that I was forming into a mountain.
Before I can get the first bite into my mouth, Xander takes the plate from my hands and dumps it back onto the tray. "You have no time for that. I'm late for a meeting."
I whine and beg as he drags me out of the penthouse, all the while my stomach yells in anger.
...
"I can't believe you left me in there for three hours!"
Xander closes the car door behind him after he slides into the seat next to me. The same man from the day before sits behind the wheel. He pulls into the heavy New York traffic as soon as Xander buckles his seat belt.
"Will you stop complaining?" Xander grunts and pulls out his cell phone.
"No, I will not! I was stuck in your office for three hours! The only thing to eat was a croissant!" I huff and wrap my arms around my growling stomach.
"Driver." Xander begins sitting forward. "Take us to Bono's." He sits back in his seat, scrolling through his phone before saying, "There, are you happy?"
I lean over towards Xander. "Do you even know his name?" I wait for an answer, but I don't receive one. I roll my eyes and sit back in my seat. I watch the city pass by us for nearly half an hour before we pull up to a curb.
Xander looks up from his phone for the first time. "We're here," he states.
He gets out of the car, stretching his legs on the sidewalk. When he offers his hand to me, I decline it by brushing it out of the way. He gives me an odd look, but I don't pay any mind to it.
"What is this place?" My eyes wander down a line of people, all waiting to go inside the double doors I stand before.
Xander comes to my side and wraps his arm around my waist. I don't bother to brush it off, not when there's so many people staring at us.
"They have the best italian food in town," Xander explains.
"Is that why there's a line going around the block?"
Xander leads us to the front doors. The two men standing in front offer Xander a nod and pass us through. "No, those people can't afford this food. They're just here to stargaze."
"Stargaze?" I ask confused, which earns a chuckle from Xander. I watch as his lips pull  into a smirk.
"They want to meet celebrities. It's a play on words. Ever heard of it?"
I jab his stomach lightly with my elbow. "I graduated middle school."
A man dressed in a tux meets us as we walk in. He has his hands tucked together behind his back and his hair slicked to the side.
"Buona sera Mr. Stavros," he speaks.
"The best table you have," Xander responds.
...
An hour later and with my stomach full, Xander and I leave the restaurant.
"I've never had such amazing pasta," I comment, as Xander opens the door for me.
"Wait until Italy."
I stop in my tracks and look at him. "What is that supposed to mean?"
He smiles slightly, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "I have an important meeting in Rome next week, followed by a charity event. You'll be coming with."
"I'm going to Rome?" I ask excitedly. My passion has always been with architecture and Rome is the origin for it all. I want to jump up and down with glee, I want to shout at the top of my lungs, but a familiar voice breaks my joyous mood.
I stand frozen on the sidewalk, Xander looking over my shoulder as he slowly forms a frown on his face.
"Aria," the man speaks again. "Will you look at me?"
I hesitantly turn around to see Holden standing in front of me, along with the rest of my friends. "Hi," I meekly whisper. I honestly didn't think I would see them again.
Holden looks behind me at Xander, his face slowly breaking. I notice the pitiful looks upon Daisy's and Chase's faces. I make eye contact with them briefly, before they tilt their heads down. My eyes wander over to Sydney whose dark eyes glare into me, almost lighting me on fire.
"Can we talk?" Holden asks me. I notice the way Sydney's jaw locks, and her hands form into fists.
I turn back to Holden, barely able to look him in the eye. I muster up the courage to say, "I don't think that's a good idea."
"But Aria," he pleads, taking a step forward.
Xander suddenly comes to my side, making Holden stop. Xander wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me into his side tightly. "She said no."
Holden's adam's apple moves up and down as he looks at Xander next to me. He's probably wondering if he can stand up to him.
"I need to talk to her," Holden argues, keeping his eyes squared on Xander.
"No you don't," I speak up. "What happened is in the past. I already moved on, you should too."
Holden barks out a laugh. "Already? With this guy?" He points his finger towards Xander, who doesn't take lightly to the action. Before Xander can charge at Holden, I grab Xander's face in my hands. I don't even think twice before I place my lips on his.
When I begin to feel his lips move against mine, I finally realize that I'm kissing him for the first time after four years. I want to pull away, but Xander holds me close, caging me in his arms. Before I know it I'm lost in his kiss.
All the emotions I've kept hidden for all these years come forth, and suddenly I'm kissing Xander with a feverous need, as if he's my last breath.
We have to eventually pull apart to breathe. My eyes lock with his, and I know that we're both wondering the same thing.
What did we just do?
"Are you serious," Daisy speaks up. I look over at her, just in time to see Chase try to cover her mouth. She shoves his hand away and steps towards Xander and I. "You really have the nerve to kiss another man in front of Holden? Who the hell do you think you are?"
I'm shocked by her reaction. She was my roommate our freshman year of college, and transformed into my closest friend. I thought I could count on her, definitely more than Sydney.
I laugh dryly, throwing my head back. "You're kidding right? Don't tell me you don't know that Holden has been sticking his dick into this backstabbing piece of trash right here." I look over at Sydney with distaste.
She gasps, then charges for me. She manages to get a good slap in, but I quickly respond with a right hook to her jaw. Sydney falls back on the sidewalk with a cry. Her friends rush to her side, checking to see if she's okay.
I touch my cheek gently, feeling only a sting. Xander pulls me towards him, his eyes laced with concern.
"Are you okay?"
I laugh in his arms. "Are you kidding me? She hits like a bitch."
The concern leaves his eyes and is replaced with amusement. "You are a country girl aren't you?"
I smile, then look over my shoulder at the commotion. Sydney is holding her cheek while tears run down her face, and Daisy is quietly comforting her. Chase blends into the background while Holden kneels at Sydney's side, but his eyes are on me.
All I see in them is regret.
"Here," Xander says, intertwining his fingers in mine. "The car is here."
I let him drag me to the car, my focus not leaving Holden. I forse as much fiery hated I have in me, to show through my eyes so he can see that we're done. This is the last time I ever want to see him.
I give him one last glare before Xander opens the car door for me. I hop in and slide into the middle seat. I wait for Xander to follow me, but instead he stands by the door and looks towards the group huddled on the ground.
"You lost the best thing to ever happen to you," Xander snarls, his eyes narrowed into dark slits. "Remember that when I'm thrusting into her and making her scream."
I'm left shocked as Xander gets into the car, closing the door behind him. He looks at me oddly as we start moving, daring to lean over and push my opened mouth, closed.
I swat his hand away angrily. "Was that really necessary?" I growl.
He shrugs a shoulder lazily. "Probably not, but it made him mad."
I roll my eyes and turn to look out the other window. I really hope he can't see my smile in the reflection of the glass.