Side Stories: The Squad

- Praetor Enterprises Headquarters, Chernobog, 0700 hours \ Cloudy | 1 year ago... -

It was a cloudy morning in Chernobog. There was a fragile peace in the mobile city between the infected and the Ursus Empire -- a peace that is slowly eroding. The private security contractor, Praetor Enterprises, has already begun drafting plans in the event that peace shatters and war begins between the oppressed and the oppressor. However, profit must continue.

(Lancel) who had left the Pontifica Cohors in Laterano some time ago had just joined the security contractor after hearing of their extensive intelligence network. It was a chance for him to find Mostima, even if it is slim.

There, he took on even more training. He received an Arts sword that he named Chainbreaker and the code name that he will use as a permanent part of his image; 'Torrent'.

Life in Praetor Enterprises wasn't easy, but it wasn't something he can't complain about. The food is decent, the pay is good, and most importantly, he succeeded in making connections. One of which is his own organized unit, Praetor Squad.

He and eleven others are a part of the first permanent task force of the security contractor. Two of which is a Sarkaz caster whose real name is Ulfric and code named Splinter, and the other is a Kuranta named Odpis who received training and education in Rhine Labs in Columbia.

Together with his squad, Torrent had undertaken contracted missions. Some are quite easy and simple. Others were dangerous enough that his life was endangered several times. However, he went through it all with the help of his friends.

This cloudy morning will just be like any other; breakfast, contract, lunch on the way, and come back alive. Torrent and his squad along with other squads have been debriefed for a large contract involving escorting classified material out of Chernobog.

Praetor Squad along with Equites Squad are tasked with forward reconnaissance, and both squads are now gearing up for the mission.

"Two hours, folks!" The squad leader of Equites Squad tells the members of both squads as they finish preparations in the armory.

"How big do you think this will be? I have a feeling that this won't be any different than last time." Splinter, bearing the call sign Praetor 4 says to Torrent.

"Oh come on, don't jinx it. The last time you did that, we got swarmed by slugs. On all sides." Torrent, bearing the call sign Praetor 5 replies to the Sarkaz.

"Hey, we got out just fine, right? Besides, Praetor 8's drones got us covered." Splinter says back.

"Speaking of which, where is she?" Torrent asks as he looks around trying to look for the aforementioned person.

"Oh, uhh... Right... there." Splinter points to a direction. They see the silver-haired Kuranta sitting on a bench typing away on her laptop with a deactivated drone beside her.

Odpis, bearing the call sign Praetor 8 is still a relatively new member at this time. She was a replacement for someone who once bore the same call sign but now retired. Truth be told, she wasn't comfortable with such a colorful cast of people.

Torrent and Splinter walk up to the Kuranta to see if she's just fine.

"Hey, Odpis. You alright?" Splinter says to her, which startled her.

"Huh?! O- oh, uhh, yeah... I- I'm fine. Thank you." The silver-haired Kuranta replies.

Odpis, a skilled hacker but also a meek character. Neither Torrent nor Splinter know much of her background other than she received education in Rhine Labs. Either way, she's their squadmate and befriending her is important.