Epilogue: Start of a New Chapter

- Rhodes Island, 0800 hours \ Sunny | Months later... -

Before today, it was calm in Rhodes Island. The people can take leisure times at their own volition, hang out with friends, and have a chat. Today is a busy day now. Activity in Rhodes Island soared and break times became a luxury. There was no noise of complaint from anyone; all of them knew what was coming next.

The one and only top strategist and tactician of Rhodes Island, one simply known as the Doctor - it was almost time for him to make their return to the world of the living.

After being in a state of comatose for so long, the medical specialists tending to the Doctor declared that they will be awakening soon. It was a joyous occasion, but Rhodes Island cannot afford to celebrate. The facility that kept the Doctor which was a closely guarded secret is now in danger as it stood in Chernobog. It is the same city where the Praetor agents first met each other and where their company disbanded for the same reason why this has become a big deal.

Tensions between the citizens of Chernobog and of the infected have reached a critical point, prompting Rhodes Island to commence a full mobilization of the entire paramilitary that they have sustained. The Doctor must be recovered no matter the cost.

The actual deployment doesn't happen until tomorrow. Today is the only day that the operators who will be working on site to assist in recovering the Doctor can prepare. Each squad had their assigned roles. Praetor Squad is assigned to be the recon element of the task force with directives to engage in actual combat should the need arise. As of now, they are in the armory, making necessary adjustments to their equipment.

Herald was the first to finish and so he sat down on one of the benches, looking at a locket that contained a picture of a younger version of him and of a similarly young Cautus with white hair. Odpis has also finished which involved a chip upgrade for the new generation of her drone control gauntlets. Splinter is now working on his gear as Torrent and Strife who both didn't need any further enhancements on their gear waited.

While waiting for their last squadmate to finish, he went by sat beside Herald.

"Who that girl might be?" Torrent asked Herald carefully, being as considerate as he could. Herald stared at him for a moment before speaking.

"Ah... That's Yelena. She's my childhood friend, as you could probably tell." Herald replied in a neutral tone. "It's been so long since we saw each other."

"When did you two got separated?" Torrent inquired and Herald sighed.

"I don't even know now... I've lost count. Several years? Maybe a decade?" Herald said as he closed the locket and put it back into one of his pockets.

"It's been that long, huh? I can imagine." Torrent mused and the Vulpo nodded.

"Memories are vague now, but one thing that I remember clearly is that we first met when we were kids in a mining complex." Herald told Torrent. "We were... child laborers."

"Sick bastards, whoever those men responsible." Torrent said as he frowned at the thought.

"Yelena and the other kids helped me escape so that I could seek help. I found help and they went in, but I never returned to that terrible place again." Herald continued. "I never knew what happened to Yelena or the other kids ever since because I left them behind. It was one of the regrets I have in my life."

"... You've never told us this when we were in PE." Torrent quipped.

"I never had the reason to." Herald retorted. "Besides, I can't keep thinking about the past if my squadmates can't even take care of themselves." He added. Torrent laughed nervously.