In a Blink

Your eyes followed the tiny row of trucks and motorcycles as they wove through the back-alleys you'd directed them to a little over an hour ago.

Your legs gave a throbbing ache and you shifted your position, causing some gravel underneath you to crunch loudly.

Shit.

You stilled and glared through the scope of your rifle. You were waaaay out of practice when it came to the hunt. It had taken you longer than you'd guessed to make your way to your chosen roost, and you were more out of breath and sore than you should have been.

Luckily it looked like the Kid Gang hadn't run into any trouble in that time. But now that you were in position, you could cover them until they reached their destination.

You were glad Kid had liked your suggestion. You knew all the good spots along here to snipe from.

The unassuming office building you were currently occupying the roof of was about a kilometer and a half away from Kid's destination. You may be out of practice, but there was no way you would miss at this range, especially with a clear line of sight.

The final leg of the route you'd shown them was the brief drive through a distant edge of Big Mom's territory, then a substantial straight stretch across an unclaimed Block before making a few more turns to get to the warehouse. If there was anyone out there wanting to attack the Kid Gang, this is where they'd do it.

Those potential enemies would have figured out their route change by now and would be racing to make an attack.

Maybe.

Or they could simply have given up. But there was no way to know for sure.

That's why you were here.

A series of loud bangs shattered the silence below you. Your gaze snapped downward to identify the threat, but it was only a busboy throwing a bunch of bags into a dumpster at the base of your chosen perch.

The distant figure disappeared back inside the small restaurant across the street and your attention returned to your self-appointed task.

Your eyes narrowed as you peered through your night-vision scope, quickly distinguishing the green-tinged outline of the pickup truck at the head of the caravan.

You could clearly identify Kid and Killer standing up in the box, both resting an elbow on the roof of the truck as it slowly led the way.

You focused on Killer for a moment, analysing his every movement. But he was carrying himself with his usual calm confidence. Hopefully his injuries weren't as bad as you'd thought...

The head poking out of the passenger window was covered in large spikes. That must be Wire's cloak-thing. So Heat was driving now.

After taking stock of where the guys were, you turned your attention to the surroundings.

It was late evening on a Sunday, arguably the best time to be driving around if you didn't want to be stuck in traffic. This also made it easier for you. There were less vehicles and people moving around on the streets below, drastically narrowing your pool of potential targets.

A few cars were driving the same roads as the Kid Gang, but they quickly turned off or parked when they saw the line of trucks and bikes cruising along. Any people who were out on the sidewalks quickened their pace or disappeared inside as the caravan drove by.

For now, nothing seemed off.

You took a moment to check over your rifle for the third time already. But it felt just the same as you remembered. Perfectly balanced and adjusted for you and only you.