The Grave

Your fingers were tight around the steering wheel as you navigated through the backstreets of the North Blue. The silence in your car was thick as soup and after the three hour long drive from Paradise it was unbearable.

You cleared your throat in an attempt to break the suffocating atmosphere.

"Uh, Heat...?" you glanced to the passenger seat.

The blue haired man was sitting sideways with his back pressed against the door. His dark eyes briefly flicked over the sheath of a long sword sticking through the middle of your car from end to end. This was Law's Kikoku and he had insisted he bring it along since both Shachi and Penguin couldn't fit into your small car.

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything by texting you," you mumbled, turning your eyes forward again, "What were you guys doing tonight?"

Heat adjusted two short swords over his lap, which he had also insisted on bringing along, and sent a sidelong glare at Law, who was occupying the entirety of your back seat. But before Heat could open his mouth, Law answered for him.

"They were at Amazon Lily, the strip club," he said.

Heat stiffened and his fists clenched around his swords.

"How did you-?!" he growled.

Your cheeks were burning. Heat had been at a strip club? And he had still come running when you'd texted him?

"The only reason I waited this long to visit Y/n-ya is because this is the first time you were all away from your base," Law returned his growl and lifted a hand to the hilt of his sword, "Though it is good to know there's a twenty minute window until the Kid Gang could return."

Heat's expression darkened.

"It wouldn't take that long. The Victoria Punk could easily halve that time," he said.

"Ten minutes is still enough to burn your base to the ground," Law leaned forward, a malicious grin on his lips.

"HEY!" you whipped your head around to glare daggers at him, "You lay a finger on the Calico and it'll be the last thing you ever do!"

Your voice came out way more forceful than you'd intended and both men jumped and turned their stares of mixed aggression and shock to you. You glared them both down until they let out sighs and sat back.

"Ahem. Law," you cleared your throat and turned your attention back on the road, "Can you tell us about Rocy's last mission again? Heat should know a little since he came along."

The man in the backseat shifted before letting out a sigh and nodding.

"Cora-san worked as a double-agent. He passed information about the Donquixote Gang back to the Police," Law said, "He pretended to be a clumsy mute who hated children in order to prevent any kids from being recruited into the gang... though that didn't work all the time."

He fell silent and you glanced at him in the rear-view mirror. A bitter frown twisted his mouth.

"He wasn't pretending to be clumsy," you murmured through tight lips.

Law's eyes lifted to meet yours in the reflection and you swore his cold gaze warmed for a moment.

"The Donquixote Gang?" Heat muttered, "I thought you said he was a cop."

"Cora-san was not a cop!" Law immediately growled, causing both you and Heat to jump.

"Oh..." Heat grunted.

An awkward silence fell and you sat stiffly, unsure of what to say.

"Anyway," Law continued with a huff, "He'd been working with the Gang on and off for a while before I joined them. And after a few years, he took me and left."