What You Didn't Know

WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!!! WARNING!!!

Shit gets real in this chapter (and the next few). There will be some heavy scenes and serious subject matter.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything with this warning (I'm guessing most of you have made this connection already) but I don't want anyone getting surprised in a bad way.

WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!!! WARNING!!!

There is a scene depicting a miscarriage. If that makes you uncomfortable, SKIP OVER THE SECTION IN ITALICS. 

Killer stifled a groan as his feet hit his bedroom floor. The queasy after-drinking haze muddled his brain, but the sensation was familiar enough that he could function relatively normally.

Once his vision was tunneled into the usual rows of bright circles and his mask was strapped securely around his head, he made his way out into the kitchen and grabbed his keys off the counter.

The coffee pot, Killer's past mainstay for fighting off his hangovers, sat forgotten in the corner by the fridge, untouched since the day he had discovered the talents of their ever-intriguing downstairs neighbour.

The masked man walked to the front door, then hesitated and turned around. He stepped lightly to the door across from Kid's room and knocked softly.

"I'm going down for a shake," Killer murmured, knowing the occupant was always an early riser.

There was a shuffling sound and Killer stepped back as the door was pulled open and an anxious looking Heat stepped into the hall. The circles under his eyes were darker than usual.

"Did you sleep at all?" Killer asked as he led the way back to the front door.

"Mm," Heat grunted a reply, his eyes downcast and his features sullen and dull.

Killer couldn't blame his friend for feeling nervous about going downstairs. He was also unsure about how this visit would go.

The Kid Gang hadn't returned to the apartment until the quiet hours of the morning, but that was actually early for a night on the town for them. Usually they would each wander back sometime throughout the next day, returning from their own separate ventures, and all extremely hungover.

But last night had been... disappointing.

For many reasons.

Killer sighed as he recalled the brown haired beauty he had had his sights on and the way she had immediately walked out of his arms when another man had given her attention. Killer shook his head to banish the memory and glanced at Heat. He knew his experience was nothing compared to his blue haired friend's...

The pair made their way down to the Calico Hen Café.

It was late morning, Y/n should have been up for a few hours already, if she had gone easy on the drinks last night. She always opened the door at 7 a.m.; like clockwork. It had gotten to the point where Killer could judge the time by whatever she was doing when he walked into the café. Killer glanced at his phone as he stepped out onto the street.

10: 36

Y/n should be doing a quick sweep of the floor about now.

Both men drew up short as they reached the door. The windows were dark. That was unusual.

Killer's eyes flew over the empty tables and vacant counter within. Something wasn't right here...

He moved to open the door, then froze when he found the knob dangling from its casing.