Adjusting

"Hey, Y/n, can I have a large tea and one of those raspberry tarts?"

You nodded and quickly spun around to hide the blush coating your cheeks.

"Of course," you mumbled as you prepared his favourite tea.

You knew how to make it by heart. After letting the cup steep for two minutes you strained out the large orange pekoe leaves and stirred in a spoonful of honey, two sugar cubes, a sprinkle of cinnamon... and an ice cube to cool it down. You poured the tea into a travel mug and placed it carefully on the counter, making sure it was a safe distance from his accident prone hands.

"Here you are, sir," you closed your eyes as you smiled, hoping your flush would die down if you didn't look at him, "And here's your tart."

"Thanks, Y/n!" the tall blond beamed as he took the treat, "And it's been a while since I've moved in... do you think you could call me by my name?"

Your eyes blinked open in shock and your face emanated enough heat to bring the tea back to a boil.

"Oh! Um, yes, of course, sir!" you bowed your head, "Ah! I mean-! Sorry... Rocinante."

"Hehehe," the man chuckled and reached out to ruffle your hair, "Just Rocy is fine."

You barely swallowed your content sigh, noting his fingers paused briefly before pulling away.

"I'll see you later then."

When you looked up he was already at the door.

"Have a good day!" you called your usual parting words, "Come home safe!"

Your eyes trailed over the outline of his shoulders, which his officer's uniform showed off perfectly, and then dropped lower as he left the café. Damn, that ass was a gift to this world.

"Y/n!"

"Ah!" you jumped as Gran's voice snapped in your ear.

"If you're done your ogling come help me with the scones."

"Yes, Gran," you mumbled and quickly followed her into the kitchen, head hung low in embarrassment.

What were you doing gawking at a grown man's ass?! You shouldn't be falling for your decade older upstairs neighbour!

You bit your lip and nodded as you reminded yourself of exactly what you were.

You didn't deserve to even dream of having someone like him...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your usual alarm went off on Sunday morning, earning a low groan from you as you groped for the switch.

You got ready on autopilot, your brain still struggling to wake up. Your shirt was pulled over your head and you wobbled as your legs were stuffed into sweatpants. Your eyes were still blinking the sleep away when your hands found a broom and a bottle of cleaning spray.

Your feet took you through the café and out into the street. Your arm pulled the next door open and you dragged yourself up the stairs towards the apartment.

How many years has it been now? you vaguely wondered as you fished the key out of your pocket and shoved it towards the door knob... Just as it turned and the door was pulled open.