Chapter 49

"Do those bastards really think they can get away with messing with me?"

2 people, different sides of the same forsaken coin echoed the same thought in 2 different parts of the city, in front of different people.

They were screwed, to say the least.

The police had discovered Kaltain's body. And somehow, the clues there pointed to Maeve and Arobynn, instead of Perrington and Vernon. Just like Perrington had threatened on the call if they didn't heed his words. Arobynn and Maeve had their share of dark dealings with the police, but it was the first time they escaped so, so narrowly.

The flower owner near the cemetery, gave Arobynn's sketch on the people who visited at odd hours. Arobynn had to deflect that he had gone to visit his son's grave. And that, that was the meat police needed, that sparkled Sheriff Westfall's brown eyes to register him as a suspect in both Kaltain and Sam's murder cases. All his businesses were under investigation. He could not leave the city.

Maeve was no better. Her fingerprints had been found on the gravestone she had no idea about. And the fact that police could trace it to her despite no official criminal record. She wasn't allowed to leave the city either, all official eyes on her and her businesses. How come Perrington was able to do this with absolutely no influence beyond those of Arobynn and hers? To top that, she couldn't join hands with Arobynn on this one or he'll know she got the girls kidnapped and was planning to back stab him.

She had to find out where Perrington was hiding before he could create any further nuisance. But till then, she had had to comply with what he asked her of. She had just seen the results of ignoring him.

This was such a mess.

***

"You ready?" Fenrys asked, rocking back and forth on the chair as his legs rested on the table, bearing all his weight.

"I have no choice but to be ready, right?" Dorian looked up at him, sapphire eyes hesitant yet the strong set of his jaw screamed determination.

"Come on, you did it yesterday, you can do it again."

"Yeah, but my mood was lifted seeing Lorcan and Aelin cuddle yesterday." A round of chuckles followed this remark, from Fenrys, Elide, Chaol and Rowan.

"We were not cuddling, Havilliard." Aelin said through gritted teeth, rolling her eyes.

"You both were sprawled on the floor with game controllers, not trying to kill each other, for once. It qualifies as cuddling for you both." Fenrys pointed out, Aelin whipped her head towards Rowan who just shrugged, enjoying her misery.

"If you don't shut up, my fist will find a way to your face. That qualifies as a punch, in case you didn't know." Aelin fired back, the mood in the room lighting. The smiles were being exchanged when the silence stretched upon and Dorian let out a huge sigh.

"Let's do this."

He wore the headphones, connected to a computer and phone, the voice modifying software beaming on the screen. The number dialed, the ringing echoing in the room as they all held their breaths.

"Hello?" The smooth voice on the other side was the one Aelin recognized quite well.

"Now, now Arobynn, don't act like I didn't tell you to expect this call?" The voice which came through the phone, from Dorian's side, was Perrington's. The beauty of technology.

"What do you want, Perrington?" Arobynn grumbled from the other side.

"Stalling to track the number? Nice try. I want what I said yesterday."

"Why are you doing this now? It was decided, you kill Maeve and take over her business." Dorian met Fenrys's eyes and Aelin found Rowan's.

"I did your dirty work for long. Drug deal, slave trade, even spying on your son! You think I didn't recognize the girl the moment she entered the school? But you turned it all against me and I was the one in prison." Dorian breathed, as if trying to regain control after losing it. "You know I am not past killing and blaming you. Put Clarisse's business under my name. Next time I call, if it's not done, know that I have another girl. I could just call one of your protegees and let's see what happens. You have 8 hours."

And he cut the call.

"I still don't get what shifting businesses in Perrington's name will do." Fenrys shrugged, passing a water bottle to Dorian who took out the sim from the phone and broke it. One of the many Vernon hoarded.

"It's not just about the name. It's about stripping Maeve and Arobynn of their power, their money and their control. Plus, Perrington has a track record. If these illegal stuff gets reported under a known criminal, then it is easier for law to shut them up. And more credibility to get Dorian's father freed." Elide said, massaging her ankle.

"That reminds me, I am genuinely surprised that Chaol hasn't ratted it all out to his father yet. We have such a bad influence on you." Fenrys smirked, Chaol muttering a small shut up, not meeting anyone's eyes when Dorian intertwined their hands. "Stop bullying my boyfriend." Chaol's cheeks reddened but Dorian just laughed off, taking his leave.

Aelin knew why they were going, judging from the glint in their eyes and the sneaky glances.

"So, I'm going to the library, I need a new book. Anything for you, Elide?" Aelin asked, getting up and stretching her hands.

"No, I'm still to finish this one." Elide waved the book in her hand as Fenrys went to play the video games she was playing the day before yesterday with Lorcan.

"I'll come with you." Rowan said and she nodded, knowing from the way his hands were forming fists that he wanted to talk to her. They walked to the library in silence and when Rowan finally closed the door behind him, she asked.

"What?"

"Lorcan asked me something." Rowan never beat around the bush and her breath hitched. She didn't want anyone to know about it.

"Rowan-"

"He didn't tell me anything." Rowan raised his hands, palms facing her. "He just said to look after you and take care of you."

Aelin didn't say anything, just putting her palms against Rowan's.

"It's nothing unusual but coming out of Lorcan? I just want you to know that whatever talk you had with Lorcan is between you both. I won't ask about it ever until and if you are ready to talk. Just know that I am ready to listen whenever and whatever you say. I am and will always be there for you. To whatever end." Rowan said, tucking in a stray hair strand behind her ear and Aelin's heart skipped a beat.

She closed the distance between them, hugging her tightly, closely, as if she would move, he'd disappear.

"To whatever end." She whispered, realizing she was so, so lucky to have Rowan. At that moment, some feeling settled in her chest and warmed her all over, but she decided against voicing it. It wasn't the time.

She also felt so grateful to Lorcan for not ratting her most vulnerable emotions but still looked out for her. She didn't want Rowan knowing about them right now. Though she knew he would never judge her for it. He was there, it was enough.

Aelin pulled back, eyes glazed as she peered up at Rowan. The space between them reduced as their lips met in a soft kiss.

Kissing Rowan was like reading an already read book. It was like coming back home, in the embrace of the story so familiar to you and yet you can't wait to jump into it again. You may have read it numerous times, you know what is coming but it still managed to steal your breath away.

He pulled away, dragging her to sit on a table, Aelin tired from tiptoeing and their lips met again in the soft, firm yet knee-shaking kisses that reassured her that she was utterly, helplessly, hopelessly and irrevocably in love with Rowan Whitethorn.

***

I am having such a writer's block, it took me hours to write this. And to top that, I wrote the epilogue but I can't write up till then.  IDK What's up with me. -__-