Chapter 32

Lorcan didn't expect the smell of cinnamon and elderberries to hit him with such force, unhinging every door he had shut inside of him to feel that again, preserving Elide's memories inside, but not giving himself access anymore.

Even though he had seen her get out of a cab, even though he wanted to open the door to the cafe for her or worse, carry her inside because of her limp, he kept himself fixed on his seat, reminding himself over and over that she hadn't come for him, she had come here to take some information out of him. And he knew she was extremely good at it.

But shit.

He should not have chosen the seat immediately next to the door. Or arrived 10 minutes earlier. Maybe then it would have given him enough time to gather himself together, the brunt of the smell, her smell blowing him away, piece by piece.

His back was towards her, but he knew she'd spotted him, perhaps even from outside, when she slid across from him in their booth, without even looking around. On exact time, as always. She was wearing a pale pink dress that came just below her knees, the mangled flesh hidden in the boots she was wearing.

"Your bulk is hard to miss." She said, as if reading her thoughts and oh gods. Lorcan had seen her that day in the market, and a few times afterwards, and talked on call earlier, but seeing her in person, living flesh talking to him, face to face was doing things to him.

"What do you want?"

"Don't worry, the waitress comes to take orders here." She said nonchalantly, and he balked, wanting to correct her that it wasn't what he meant. But Elide was already waving a waitress over to them.

"Ready to order already, ma'am?" The girl, in late teens eyed them both, as their menus remained untouched on the table.

"1 iced Americano, 1 sprite and 2 Aglio e olio spaghetti."

"Anything else? A Dessert?"

"No, that would be all." Elide said politely as the girl noted down, took the menus and left. Lorcan just narrowed his eyes, trying to silence her heart that screamed, 'she remembers' and listen to his head that said, 'it's a power move, just to manipulate you, idiot.'

Her eyes finally met his, the keenness and perspicacity in them reminding her of the first time he met her, the eyes being the first thing that he'd noticed about her, that blew him away even then.

***

It was a party, at the house of famous courtesan, Archer Finn.

It was in full swing by the time he'd reach there, with a carnival troupe called upon to entertain the guests. There were 8-9 people with him, name's he'd forgotten, except for Molly, who was their leader. They were going to perform acrobatics, fire performance, magic tricks, knife throwing, fortune telling and orchestra and what not. But for the final showdown he would gut the host. Simple.

Lorcan noticed one by one, as their troupe entered the masquerade through the back door, filled with rich and debauched people of the city. Archer himself had dressed as a wolf—his tunic pewter, his slender pants dove gray, and his boots shining black. His wolf mask covered all but his sensual lips, which were currently parted in a rather wolfish smile, laughing with 3 of his guests. As if he hadn't slept with more than half of them. Made Lorcan's job easier, too many suspects.

He noticed the smile fall from his lips as he eyed the main entry for guests, and for good reason. Lorcan knew enough that the scarlet dress the girl donned was a little scandalous. And he knew that it was definitely not appropriate for winter, given how low the front dipped, and how much lower the back went. Low enough to reveal through the black lace mesh that she wasn't wearing a corset beneath it. But Archer Finn had always liked women, in this case a girl, younger than him, around 14, who were daring with their clothes, who were ahead of the trend. And this dress, with its close-fitting bodice, long, tight sleeves, and gently flowing skirt, was about as new and different as it came. The pins sweeping her hair into a curling cascade down one shoulder were the same color as her hair. With the ermine cloak in her hand in this biting winter, she was dressed to impress.