Chapter 37

Hey. The last chapter had the message at last incomplete. So the early readers may have missed one line which I added. Just check it. Enjoy reading. :)

Despite everything going around her, life was still going on. And so was school.

Balancing school so far from her home, Arobynn's dirty work and looking for Kaltain had her exhausted to the bone. Aelin was desperately lagging behind in studies and attendance, just getting by because of Chaol. Dorian and Chaol had been putting on her attendance and submitting her assignments for her, even when they weren't talking to her. Wow. She knew they were feeling equally guilty for what happened to Kaltain. If only any of them had offered to drop her home. But Aelin assured them that anyone with her would have ended up dead. Chaol had found out nothing from his father, and Perrington was in a cell, all alone to rot, according to the Sheriff. So the cellmate angle they had was lost.

The whispers going around school had ceased, the intensity with which police was looking for Kaltain had dropped, hoping someone would find her dead body. But Aelin, Chaol and Dorian had an unsaid rule amongst them: none of them mentioned the possibility of Kaltain being dead. She was out somewhere, waiting for them to rescue her.

And Aelin would.

Once she dealt with the stupid territorial bastards around her.

Somehow, all the males that she cared for, had got it into their heads that Aelin could be the next target. Forgetting that she was an assassin. And they had taken it upon themselves to 'protect' her. Aedion dropped her to school, after threatening the school bus driver to not come to pick her anymore, not leaving her alone even within their house; Dorian and Chaol stuck to her in school all the damn time; Rowan got the afternoons and dropped her back home. If somehow, somehow she managed to get away from them, Fenrys and Gavriel would hound her. It went to the point that Aelin started going to the girls' washroom 6 times a day, after every single period. So they sent Nesryn in to check on her, who bought a tampon and pad with her, thinking that was what Chaol meant by 'seeing if Celaena was alright.' It was nice to see so many people care for her, but at this point, she was one step away from snapping.

She was home, watching some cartoon with Evangeline and Aedion, when she felt the urge to pee. She got up, Aedion's eyes, then his legs after her.

"For fuck's sake, stop following me," she snapped.

"You could get hurt." Aedion snapped right back at her.

"I'm going to the bathroom." Aelin whined, pointing at the lavatory for emphasis. Evangeline giggled behind them, finding their argument much more interesting than the cartoon.

"Hermione got attacked by a troll, Ginny was dragged into the chamber of secrets and Myrtle got killed. All. In. A. Bathroom." Aelin was silent for the whole 10 seconds.

"I regret making you read Harry potter." She mumbled. The doorbell rang and there was a flurry of rushed footsteps, like someone had run down the stairs. Aedion looked at her, brows furrowed. They motioned Evangeline to get inside the bathroom, picking up a gun and a dagger respectively, and went to the door. Aedion peaked through the keyhole, and shook his head, all clear. They took a deep breath, opening the door wide and pointed the gun at the opposite sides, their backs to each other. Aelin scanned the whole area, there was no one outside. Arobynn's door was locked too.

"Hey, this was on the floor." Aelin turned to a crouched Aedion, holding a CD case in his hands.

"What the hell?" They both went inside, checking in on Evangeline, calling Lysandra and Elide. Everything was okay. The clear cd case had nothing written on it, neither did the cd itself.