Chapter 38

Warning: It could be a little disturbing because of few implications.

Something was off.

The man looked behind several times on his way to the bathroom. He was being followed or watched or both. But there was no one in sight.

He was not dying before he saw his plan succeed.

He stepped inside the bathroom, closing the door firmly behind him, waiting for someone to follow him in .

"You look like you saw a ghost." A voice said behind him. He turned around, startled. A reedy man stood there, arms crossed, looking healthier than he last saw him.

"What the hell are you doing here? If I draw suspicion now, I could fail tomorrow." The man whispered through his gritted teeth, turning on the tap in the washbasin, to make sure his voice wasn't heard outside.

"Okay, so I may have messed up a little." The guy ran a hand through his rough, black hair, looking away.

"What now?" This could not be happening now.

"The CDs got exchanged." What the hell. His plan depended upon it.

"Do their bosses know?"

"Not yet. They haven't even bothered to tell each other." That was a relief.

The man seemed to think for a while, a huge smile taking over his face.

"It is perfect. Perfectly tragic." He shrugged, realizing what the two poor souls must be going through. He wanted them to turn against their bosses by showing them how their exes were murdered but the stupid mistake turned out be bloody brilliant.

"Why?"

"Now their focus is on each other, not us. And they have renewed anger for their partner's boss. The tumultuous relationship between the groups is now hanging by thread."

"Tumul-what?"

The man let out a huge sigh. If not for his personal agenda, revenge and only option, he would never become the partner of such savage. It was handy though that he was brutal.

"What about their businesses?" He asked instead.

"Burned the Pits. Flooded the drug warehouse." The savage scratched his chin once, deep in thought. "But I don't think they'll fall for it."

"Doesn't matter, I just want them to look elsewhere. And breed mistrust. Trust goes only so far when it comes to power. No one wants to share, everyone wants to be the sovereign."

"Come again?" He smiled, all crooked teeth visible. He was just doing this to piss him off.

"How long have you been in jail to forget basic communication?"

"Long enough. The people here aren't exactly the most articulate." The savage looked to a side, eyes distant as he glared at the tap water, remembering his years lost rotting here. 

"We will get our revenge."

***

He had been standing in front of Maeve for the past 10 minutes. She hadn't looked up or acknowledged him. But Connall didn't budge or shake. Finally, after 10 more minutes, she looked up.

"What do you think about Rowan and Lorcan defending Arobynn?"

"I think they could be right. He lost far less than you but it was worse because you pulled out of the investment just before. His reputation is hurt." Shivers were running down his body, goosebumps evident on his skin but he stood straight.