Chapter 17

^These remind of Celaena/Aelin too much.

"Hey Celaena, Whatcha doin'?" It reminded Chaol eerily of Isabella from Phineas and Ferb. Given the cheeky grin Dorian gave Celaena, that was exactly his intention. 

"Looting the library, it seems." Kaltain remarked, eyeing the big fat books in Celaena's arms. That was true. For all her faults, one could never spot Celaena not issuing or returning books every single day. She was the only person he'd seen that matched Dorian's reading speed. Kaltain had tried to do the same to impress Dorian, but she could never keep up.  Surprisingly, she'd stopped flirting or batting eyelashes at Dorian. Maybe she had gotten over her crush on him. Chaol wondered when that day would come for him. 

Celaena kept the books down with a loud thump, rolling her shoulders with a grunt. 

Professor Quinn had again taken a day off, giving them another free period. He was waiting to talk to Celaena but they could never be alone. He'd tried asking his father about Celaena again, linking her neighborhood to Sam's. His father's eyes had widened and he warned him to stay away from that place and this case. 

Usually, Chaol would obey unquestioningly, but this time, it had only increased his curiosity. If he wasn't getting answers from one source, he'd use another. 

"I'm so bored right now." Dorian stifled a yawn, stretching himself, his hands careful of Kaltain behind him. But it could not be said of Chaol as Dorian extended his legs, touching Chaol's and then didn't untangle them as if it was the most harmless thing in the world. 

"Detective Chaol, don't you have any new gruesome cases to tell?" Kaltain asked, playing with the shiny keychain attached to zip of her bag. She had held her bag in her lap all day long, to the point that Hasar had asked if she had diamonds in it or what. That only made Kaltain hold the bag closer. But right now, the shiny keychain took Chaol's mind away from all the PG 13 thoughts. 

Yeah, right. 

"Actually, I have. There had been a case going on for almost whole of last year. It was kept confidential so I don't even know the names of suspects, just the victim, Sam Cortland."

From the corner of his eye, he saw Celaena pause for a mere second, but she continued putting the books in her bag carefully, her back turned to him. 

"The case was closed due to lack of evidence and the prime suspect was released after long custody. But it has been reopened after another suspect, Rourke Farran's body was found impaled on a fence outside a graveyard. After snapping his neck, which was what killed him. Some say it is a revenge as he killed his boss, but I think it had something to do with this case. Perhaps revenge for killing Sam?" 

His eyes were still on Celaena, who was still keeping the books extremely slowly. Dorian was worried that Celaena was getting dragged into illicit stuff because of Aedion. But if Chaol's gut feeling was any true, he didn't think for a second that she was not directly involved in all this with her cousin. 

"Oh, I didn't tell you. Farran was a brutal assassin. He tortured his victims to death. Another reason why I think he killed Sam, not the other suspect. The way his body was found." 

Chaol held himself. He hadn't seen the body but he'd accidently seen the photo. And he had nightmares for atleast a week. 

"The fingers went the wrong way, deep slices and burns all over his flesh, eyes missing, hair charred or pulled from roots-" Kaltain tsked, "completely unrecognizable." 

A loud clunk had them all shaken from the story. Celaena just picked her bottle, back still to him. 

"Water" was all she said before barreling out of the class.