Chapter 24

That's Hasar above and this is Renia. And you all could probably guess Celaena's dress :)

 And you all could probably guess Celaena's dress :)

Yards of silk, clouds of powder, brushes, combs, pearls, and diamonds glistened before Aelin's eyes. As Lysandra arranged the last strand of Aelin's hair neatly around her face, and placed a small crystal tiara on her head, Aelin couldn't help but feel, despite herself, like a princess. Lysandra knelt to polish the lump of crystal on Aelin's silver slippers.

"I've arranged all your hairpins that you don't have to go around with daggers tucked in to ruin your dress." Lysandra whispered as Aelin nodded.

"If I didn't know better, I'd call you a pro." Elide said to Lysandra who rolled her eyes as if to say Duh. Evangeline quickly turned to Aelin and said, "I barely recognize you!"

"Good," Aelin said. This would be her first school ball. And first where she wasn't there on a mission. True, she was mostly going to make sure Kaltain didn't get hurt. And Dorian begged her to come. Even Chaol was coming. And she couldn't ditch her date. But . . . a ball was a ball. She wanted to dance and enjoy her heart out, like a normal teenager.

Aelin strode to the mirror, Lysandra bustling after her. Standing before her reflection, Aelin wondered if she was seeing correctly. "This is the most beautiful dress I've ever worn," she admitted, her eyes filling with light. It was not pure white, but rather a grayish offset, and its wide skirts and bodice were encrusted with thousands of minuscule crystals that reminded Aelin of the surface of the sea. Swirls of silk thread on the bodice made rose-like designs that could have passed for a work by any master painter. A border of ermine lined the neck and provided slender sleeves that only covered her shoulders. Tiny diamond droplets fell from her ears, and her hair was curled and swept up onto her head, strands of pearls woven in.

"Where in Erilea did you find this dress?" Aelin murmured.

"I didn't. Evangeline did," clucked Lysandra.

Aelin met the little girl's eyes through the mirror and smiled at her mock bow.

"I thought everyone would be wearing autumn themed, so you should go diferent."

"You're a genius, Angel, more so than Elide."

She wondered why her heart now felt too large for her body, and why she was so unstable in her shoes. She had to remember why she was going—she had to keep her wits about her. The clock struck seven, and Lysandra glanced toward the doorway.

"I think we should leave or Aedion is going to eat your date alive.

"But he said he would eat you yesterday and you said please and you're still alive, Lys?" Evangeline wondered out loud, that had Elide laughing hard with a hand clamped on her mouth, Aelin pursuing her lips tightly, to not ruin her makeup and Lysandra red as a tomato.