Part 8

I admit, I almost forgot I made Pavender (Parvati x Lavender) a couple. Whoopsie doodle. Anyway, enjoy this chapter.

Summary: The first D.A. meetings are held; Harry has another "Oh no, he's hot" moment with Ron

The peace could not last forever, for Umbridge seemed to have somehow learned of the defense group and was quick to put a stop to it. Or so she hoped. There was no way in hell Harry was going to let her win — he was more determined than ever to make the defense group work.

So in the days following the announcement, Harry began planning what he would teach. He should start small, perhaps the Disarming Charm, and work from there. If only they knew where to practice; even if it were only the three of them, the noise would bound to bring attention to them quickly. Twenty–eight people just made it all the more difficult.

It was perhaps pure luck that Dobby knew about the Room of Requirement; by eight o'clock the next evening, those that had attended the first meeting had arrived.

After thinking some more on what spells he wanted to start with, Harry had decided to go with his original plan.

"I was thinking, the first thing we should do is Expelliarmus, you know, the Disarming Charm. I know it's pretty basic but I've found it really useful —"

"Oh, please." The complaint unsurprisingly came from Zacharias Smith, who rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "I don't think Expelliarmus is exactly going to help us against You-Know-Who, do you?"

"I've used it against him," said Harry quietly. "It saved my life in June."

Ron stiffened beside him.

"But if you think it's beneath you, you can leave," Harry continued to Smith.

Smith did not move. Nor did anybody else.

"Okay," said Harry, "I reckon we should all divide into pairs and practice."

Harry himself partnered with Neville since no one else would, and the room was soon filled with shouts of "Expelliarmus!" As they practiced, Harry noticed almost no one was managing to disarm their partners, although he did catch sight of Hermione's wand flying through the air and into Ron's hand at one point. Harry felt a glow of pride.

"Expelliarmus!" Neville said, and Harry's wand was wrenched out of his unsuspecting hand.

"I DID IT!" Neville crowed. "I've never done it before — I DID IT!"

"Good one!" Harry said. "Listen, Neville, can you take it in turns to practice with Ron and Hermione for a couple of minutes so I can walk around and see how the rest are doing?"

He wandered around to observe the others without distractions. Some, like Ginny, were doing well, but others were having a harder time. Harry did his best to help those in need, and gradually the performance improved.

As he came back around to Ron, Hermione, and Neville, Neville's wand zipped toward Hermione and sailed past her extended hand to smack her in the face.

"Not bad," Harry called.

"My catching skills could use a little work," she admitted, rubbing her nose.

"Well, at least your opponent doesn't have their wand."

When Harry went around to Cho, he approached from behind, causing her to set her friend's sleeve on fire.

"Sorry, Marietta!" she said.

Marietta extinguished the fire and glared at Harry.

"You startled me, I was doing all right before now!" Cho said.

"Sorry," Harry said. "I thought you heard me."

"Over all this noise?"

Harry shrugged sheepishly. "Good point."

He was so caught up in it all that it wasn't until Hermione reminded him of the time that he called the meeting to an end.

Using the Marauder's Map, Harry sent them out in groups of three and four until only he, Ron, and Hermione were left.

"That was really, really good, Harry," Hermione said.

"Yeah, it was!" Ron was practically bouncing with energy still not yet spent. "You're a brilliant teacher, Harry."

And then he went on about how Harry had gone around helping those in need in such detail Harry would probably have wondered if he had even practiced had he not seen him disarm Hermione three times.

"Yeah, well," said Harry, trying to sound nonchalant, "you did really good, too. Expelliarmus-ing and all."

Realizing what he had just said, he ducked his head under the pretense of checking the map and hurried on.

Behind him, Hermione muttered, "'Expelliarmus-ing'?

"It's the word to describe the act of using the Disarming Charm," Ron told her without skipping a beat. "Hadn't you heard?"

He sounded so serious, and Hermione's responding "No?" sounded so uncertainly lost, that Harry struggled to contain his laughter.

Looking back after two weeks of D.A. meetings, Harry wondered why he had ever doubted Hermione's idea. Everyone was doing great — Neville was finally able to disarm Hermione, Colin mastered the Impediment Jinx after three meetings, and Parvati had used the Reductor Curse and sent a table crumbling to dust.

Lavender had been unable to keep her eyes off Parvati for the rest of the meeting. Harry would probably had thought it looked weird if it weren't the fact that he was struggling not to do the same with Ron, who had also made brilliant improvement. It didn't help that he usually rolled his sleeves up to his elbows when the room got too warm, something Harry did not need to see as he continued to walk around helping people.

He may have tripped once, but that was only because he had been trying to duck to avoid getting hit by a stray spell, not because he had been watching Ron. At least that's what he told Parvati, who had seen this, but she just raised a disbelieving eyebrow at him and said nothing.

And later, as Harry waited for Neville to get back into position, he muttered, "He must be doing that on purpose."

"Doing what?" asked a clueless Neville.

"Nothing," Harry lied. "You ready, Neville?"

As the meeting came to a close, Fred sidled up to Harry and whispered, "I guess I was wrong. You don't need to wait until spring to see those —"

"Shut up and get back to the common room," Harry retorted because he had nothing better to say.

Fred snickered and ran off to join George and Lee.

Ron was by Harry's side now. "What did Fred want?"

"Nothing important," Harry lied again, very much needing to get away before he did something stupid like run his hand along Ron's arm.

Ron wasn't the only one who could keep his eyes off his boyfriend, it seemed.

So what did you think of their first lesson? Harry's fixation on Ron's arms, (which by the way was 100% inspired by Rupert Grint in Deathly Hallows)? Voldemort better watch out

(rupelover on Tumblr)