Part 21

Not as long as I would have liked, but here we go.

Summary: Harry wants to make Ron's seventeenth birthday a good one.

There was no denying Malfoy was up to something, that much Ron agreed with now. He didn't seem to mind Harry being a little obsessed in watching Malfoy on the map as much as before, though Harry did his best not to let it consume his every waking hour.

So far, though, the only thing Harry had noticed was that Crabbe and Goyle were often standing alone with Malfoy nowhere to be seen. How odd. Was Malfoy leaving Hogwarts? No, that couldn't be it. Hogwarts' security was as tight as Devil's Snare. Perhaps Malfoy's name was just lost in the sea of other students.

Harry gave Ron a sidelong glance. His birthday was coming up. More specifically, his seventeenth birthday. Harry had to make it special. But how? He decided to ask Sirius for help.

"Don't panic," said Sirius, though Harry found that advice as useful as a flobberworm. "Have you gotten him anything yet?"

"Some new Keeper's gloves," Harry replied. "But maybe I should get him up something else..."

A vision of him holding out an elaborately decorated cake and singing him praises — literally — while confetti rained down over their heads flashed in his mind.

"I don't know what you're thinking," said Sirius, giving his godson a strange look, "but I think it's safe to say don't do it."

Harry scowled. "Gee. Thanks."

"You're welcome." Sirius flashed him a bright smile before reverting back to serious. "All right, so you got him a set of Keeper's gloves. Is there anything else you think he'd want or need?"

"Two sets of Keeper's gloves?"

Sirius dropped his head onto the table he was sitting at. "James, give me strength," Harry heard him murmur. He lifted his head again and brushed his hair out of his face. "When's the next Hogsmeade trip again?"

Harry thought for a moment and brightened. "I think I'm good to go. Thanks, Sirius."

"No problem, kiddo. Oh, one more thing."

Harry looked at him expectantly.

"When he unwraps his gift, try not to be too cheesy."

"Cheesy?" Harry scoffed. "What, like tell him he's my Keeper?"

Sirius' face didn't waver. "Yes."

"Shut up." Harry deactivated the mirror and pouted. He wasn't that dumb. Right?

He immediately went to find Hermione and was gratified to see she was alone. He was less so when she bluntly agreed with Sirius. This was why she wasn't his Wheezy.

The first of March, unfortunately, did not include a visit to Hogsmeade. Harry decided to make up for it by giving Ron the best birthday ever — or at least try.

He started by waking Ron up with a kiss. Probably not the best idea given neither have brushed their teeth, but it made Ron smile nonetheless.

"Ugh, get a room, you two," said Seamus, sniggering, as he and Dean left for breakfast.

"Only after you," Ron retorted. "Your breath stinks, by the way."

"Love you, too," said Harry, leaning back. "And happy birthday." He handed him a package.

Ron tore it open and grinned widely upon seeing the gloves. "Wow! Thanks, Harry!"

"Well, you are my — uh... lovely boyfriend," he finished lamely. His face grew very warm as Ron cocked his head to one side knowingly.