Part 2

Just two more weeks of term...

Summary: Harry arrives at Grimmauld Place; Ron, Ginny, George, and Fred remember the day Percy left the Burrow— Ron for a slightly different reason

I've just been attacked by dementors and I might be expelled from Hogwarts. I want to know what's going on and when I'm going to get out of here.

Harry sent three copies of the letter off with Hedwig, telling her not to come back until he received responses.

They should respond this time, and this time, they wouldn't be so vague. Ron was the most sympathetic, but even he hadn't said much.

It felt like years since Harry had last seen Ron. The letters were better than nothing, but they were much different from physically being in the same room. Seeing the words I love you just wasn't the same as hearing it in person.

But Mrs. Weasley did say Harry should be able to see them before Hogwarts started up again, not that Harry knew when he'd be reunited. Maybe the dementor attack was a good thing; surely, they wouldn't leave him now that it was clear he was in danger.

But Hedwig didn't return the next day. Harry spent it alternating between pacing back and forth and lying in bed, hoping to see the familiar snowy figure appear in his room.

Despair quickly drained his optimism. He should have known no one would respond, even Ron. They hardly wrote all summer, so why start now?

But then, to his delight, a pale figure came flying through his open window. His happiness faltered upon seeing that only Ron had written, but he brushed it off in favor of reading.

Hi, Harry. Sorry it took so long, I couldn't persuade Sirius to let me respond.

Two dementors, he said. I do hope you're okay. Hermione's been doing some reading on the Ministry laws. There's no way you'll be expelled.

I overheard them saying they would send a group to you and take you to where we are in a couple days. So don't be surprised when your relatives leave you alone, okay?

I promise as soon as soon you get here I'll tell you what I know. It's really too much to say in a letter, especially now. Just hang in there for a little while longer, all right? I love you.

Harry read and reread it a few times, trying to process it. So he was leaving the Dursleys, that was good. Still rather vague, but Harry wasn't as bothered as he thought he might have been.

A couple of days. If Harry took it as a couple days from when he was attacked, it would be tomorrow. But Ron had said he couldn't get away to write back immediately, so a couple days from today? Harry supposed he'd find out soon enough.

The next day passed with no excitement, but then his uncle was in his room telling Harry that they were all leaving and that Harry was to be locked in his room.

So Harry waited a few minutes, and pretty soon he was face to face with a groups of wizards and witches, one of them his former professor, Remus Lupin.

"Hello, Harry," he said, shaking Harry's hand. His eyes flicked over to Hedwig, and Harry guessed he knew Ron had written to him. Nevertheless, he made no comment on her presence. "How are you?"

"Fine," Harry said. He wished the others would stop staring at him.

Thankfully, the signal they were waiting for came, and Harry was flying away from Privet Drive.

But I'll be back, he reminded himself without any enthusiasm. He always came back.

Number twelve, Grimmauld Place couldn't be more different from Privet Drive if it tried. The umbrella stand looked to be made from a severed troll's leg. A row of shrunken house-elf heads mounted one wall. And everything felt grimy and unwelcoming, which only added to the eerie atmosphere.