Logan Storm | 31

"You're up," I said, smiling, as Jenette's eyes fluttered open. She was still in my arms. Her curtain bangs were hanging in her face so I brushed them away. She sighed.

"My head hurts," she mumbled, pushing away from me. I laughed.

"First time drinking alcohol? "

"Yes, actually."

There was a moment of silence. Of course this was her first time, probably her last, too. Jenette wouldn't take alcohol unless it was peer pressure, which, it most certainly was. She looked away.

"I'll make you a hangover smoothie. Go on and shower and then I can take you home."

She nodded and I headed downstairs to gather the ingredients. I added them with a grin on my face, eager to see the look on her face when she drank it. It was awful, but it worked.

I picked it up from my mom. She would always make it for my dad  so he wouldn't hit her when he got drunk. Though he usually almost did because it tasted so gross. But he didn't have to worry about it now, because Mom was gone and I didn't care whether he hit me or not.

My jaw clenched as I put the solids into the blender and turned it on. She was gone. Because of him. Because he couldn't fight his beer addiction. Honestly, good for her for taking off. I wouldn't want to live with an abusive spouse either. But she could have taken me.

The blender stopped and I heard water trickling upstairs. I hope Jenette was dealing with things. I know she must be feeling vulnerable, especially unclothed. It broke my heart to see her barfing and crying hysterically this morning.

I wanted justice for her, so, so bad. But I also understood her wanting to remain quiet. But I couldn't just let him run free...

I poured the juice into a glass and sat it on the counter. I rummaged around inside my fridge to find something for her to eat, as I was sure her stomach was empty after vomiting so much.

Unless she wanted a bigger head ache, there was nothing.

"Bud light? Can't even pick a good brand," I mumbled, closing the fridge door. My stomach grumbled a complaint, and I punched it to shut it up. I picked the last banana from the fruit bowl and sat it next to her smoothie.

Opening the cabinet, I saw there was a box of crackers with some left in it. I shrugged and bit into an unsalted, stale cracker. Fit the vibe of this house.

The showers water stopped running and a few moments later the one and only walked down the stairs. I swallowed the last bit of cracker and set the box down.

I hadn't ever seen Jenette with her hair wet, but it was beautiful. It darkened into a red, and contrasted her bright emerald eyes. The way it hung was just... hot. Something about wet hair is just attractive.

"What?" She said, reaching a hand up to touch her hair, like she was confused.

"Is there something in my hair?"

"No," I said, clearing my throat and standing straight. I nodded to the counter and continued, "drink up, Chipmunk."

She eyed the smoothie and banana and furrowed her brows. With a sigh of trust, she lifted the glass to her lips and tilted it up. The greenish brown liquid drifted into her mouth and I smiled.

She recoiled and coughed, face scrunched up in disgust.

"Logan, do you want me to throw up again?" I laughed at her and she sent me a death glare.

"It'll help. Just trust me."

Her eyes met mine and locked for a few seconds. Trust. How difficult it must be right now for her. Especially in a drink from a boy that you didn't see being prepared.

She sighed and  closed her eyes for strength. Holding her nose with one hand and the glass in another, she gulped the atrocious liquid down. When she was finished, she set the glass down and set her hands on her hips, bending over and groaning.

"That was disgusting," she said, shaking her head. She snatched the banana and peeled it eagerly. She was just about to eat it when she noticed me watcging and rolled her eyes.

"Give me a knife, Logan. "