Logan Storm | 12

After walking Chelsea to her 3rd period, i headed to 1st lunch. I piled my tray with the same ucky burnt brown mush. What was it? A mystery: one that would remain unsolved.

But my eyes kept scanning the crowd, looking for a certain mystery herself...I found myself wondering what type of friend group she hung out in: the nerds, anime kids, artists, or just alone?

"Over here!" yelled Trent Young, one of my buddies from football. At his side sat a perky blonde with a beauty mark resting atop her red-painted lips.

My eyes slipped below her collarbone and I understood and respected his choice. 

"I'm Brittany," she said.

"I'm..." I trailed off as I spotted the pink-headed mystery girl. She said four tables away, alone. "I'm sorry. I have to go."

I didn't wait long enough to here Berta's reply. I strut over to Laine's table and plopped me and my tray's asses down. She looked up, startled.

"Hey," I said, grinning.

"Go screw yourself," She replied. My eyes widened and my face went slack. I, uh,  I hadn't been expecting that.

 But the surprise didn't last long. I was up and at it with a sly remark faster than she could register my shock. "You know, I'd rather screw you, Janet." She wasted no time in glaring daggers directly into my soul. 

"It's Jenette," she seethed. "And not even on my life, perv." My smile vanished and I made a mental note not to tell girls that I'd like to...do the mattress mombo with them.

Upon further inspection I realized her hair, once carrot red, now seemed lighter and muted. The red seemed like highlights, blending into a pink blond. Instead of the carrot I once knew, she was a strawberry. And I happened to like sweet things...

I watched her doodle in the notebook of hers when a silly thought hit me.

"Jenette...like the squirrel." She looked up, this time not angry, but confused. "What?" Her face was adorably scrunched up.

"You know, the singing squirrel that wears purple and wears glasses."

"...It's a chipmunk."

Out of surprise, I laughed. She returned back to her drawing and I became curious.

"I guess I'll have to start calling you my chipmunk," I whispered. She dropped her colored pencil and leaned in to me, emerald eyes sparkling dangerously. I noticed how they turned blue to green, depending on the lighting. 

"I am not your little love kitten or chipmunk. Call me that name and I will rip your trachea out," She warned, teeth gritted. I kept eye contact and pushed closer, so close that our noses were touching. Her eyes widened in shock, but I didn't let that stop me.

Before she could regain composure and slap me, I yanked her drawing book towards me. I held it up as she protested, desperately trying to grab it back, no help from her short arms. 

On the page was a dozen or so different scribbles of color, abstract, I assumed.

"Wow," I said, trying to figure out how to interpret this. "This picture really conveys your feelings. It seems very mixed in both positive and negative emotions." Did it? I don't know. 

"That's not my art, idiot," she sneered, snatching the notebook back. "That was me testing out my new Prismacolors."

"Oh," I said, a blush creeping up my neck and onto my cheeks. I wasn't one to get embarrassed, but this girl was making me feel...challenged.

But I'd be damned if I didn't like it.

"Bye, bad boy," she smirked, collecting her items and leaving.

"But...the science homework,"

"...Chipmunk!"