Flashback/Jenette Laine

"And that's how you measure the surface area of rectangular prisms," Mrs. Rett said. The bell rang and students rolled out the door like a wave. On my way out , I grabbed a sheet of paper, our homework. Before I was out the door, the teacher called me.

"Yes ma'am?" I asked, turning to face her. "I've heard you and Logan Storm live in the same neighborhood? He doesn't really have any close friends, so would you mind taking him his work for the week?"

Um, yes. "No ma'am, " I said, taking the papers as she thanked me.

After getting off the smelly yellow bus, I dropped my bag off in my room and headed to the jerk's house, panting in the hot June heat. I arrived at a humble grey, 2-story. The grass was a little patchy and long, unlike the manicured lawns this neighborhood strived to keep. I rang the doorbell and waited a few seconds.

I heard some shuffling and curses and the tough guy answered the door, looking like he'd just woken up, even though It was almost 3:00.  His blue eye was circled with a greenish-yellowish bruise, and his lip had a cut on it.

He took one look at me and said, "No thanks," and turned to shut the door. I stepped my foot out to block him from closing the door.

Huffing, I shifted the geometry textbook and papers under my arm. "No, what?"

"No I don't want your girl scout cookies."

I scoffed. "Just how old do you think I am? I'm in your class, dimwit. I'm 14."

His gaze lowered to my chest. "You sure about that?" Fury and embarrassment burned in my cheeks. I glared at him and cleared my throat.

"I have your homework, jackass." He kicked my foot from the door and muttered another "Nope. I'm good." He slammed the door, leaving my already-red-face to scorch in the sun. Anger burned in my green irises. I opened the door myself and marched in.

He spun around from walking away and eyed me in disbelief. I walked up to him and shoved the books in his chest, staring back at him with the same intensity. "I knew you were stupid," I growled. "for punching Terrence just because he stepped on your shoes, but the fact that you think you can do whatever you want?"

I walked outside and then turned around. "You're just plain retarded." And I slammed his own flipping door on him.

I hoped he sizzled in embarrassment. Jerk, I thought, glancing at my chest and stepping off the porch.