Logan Storm | 29

I put the peddle to the meddle, determined to find justice for Jenette. My eyes tightened in anger, and I breathed out of my nose, hard. I didn't understand just how or why someone could set someone else up like that. Especially when it was illegal!

I stomped on the brake when we reached Maeson's house. The car skkkrted to a stop, jolting Jenette and causing her to slump forward.

I popped my arm out to stop her from hitting her head on the dashboard, but my hand karate-chopped her in the eyes.

"Owwww," she grunted, waking up. "What the hell, Logan?"

I grimaced and apologized. Looking at her, she still seemed drowsy but was seeming to come out of it. "Stay here. I have to go do something."

Her eyes widened and she looked around. "Logan, what are you going to do..."

I looked away and rested my arms on the steering wheel. "I have to make her known she was wrong. That she will pay."

"You can't...hit her. You can't hit a girl."

"Jenette! She literally... she hurt you. She got paid by someone else to do it."

Jenette looked away. I realized I said the wrong thing: I brought it up. She looked guilty and ashamed; it hurt me that she might think it was her fault.

"Its not your fault," I told her. She just shrugged, seeming limp and emotionless. I knew she was battling her emotions internally, and I felt some respect that she was able to keep her composure, if not for me, her dignity.

"It doesn't matter. Maeson will be able to put you in jail. Her father is a lawyer. So is Chelsea's, you know that. You'll never win. Well never win. Trust me."

I hit the dashboards in frustration. How could she just give up like that? I ignited the ignition and scoffed. "Then I guess well have to put her in jail."

Jenette's eyes widened and she straightened her posture. "Logan stop!" Panic was threaded in her voice and tears began rushing down her rosie cheeks.

"Jenette, what's wrong?" I stopped the car and unbuckled my seat belt, reaching over to comfort her as her body shook with traumatized sobs.

"Please, we don't need to go to the p-police station. It's not that big of a d-deal. It was just a prank!"

"Jenette, they tried to..." I trailed off, knowing she didnt need to be reminded of what was going to happen to her. I started another approach.

"What they did was wrong. Literally illegal. Nobody will judge you for it; you just can't let them walk away."

"I- They can't know. No-nobody can know. Not my parents, n-not my mom and dad."

"Chipmunk-"

"Stop, stop! This is my case! This is my decision. Stand down, Logan. I just can't do it. That would mean a trial, and a jury,  and, and-"

I sighed in sympathy, holding her in my arms and rocking her slowly. My eyes burned in fury but my heart squeezed with anguish for her. I didn't understand how anyone could hurt this little chipmunk.

"You're safe, shhh."