Chapter 7: Jericho

Start from the beginning

'Oh god, they're gonna kill me. Think. I need to get out of here. I can't exactly run because they're androids so they would catch me easily. I can't fight them either since they don't feel pain. I'm so screwed!'

The three androids continue to argue behind Markus as I start to hyperventilate.

"Shut up!" Markus hisses at them and they become silent. "You're stressing her out, her stress levels are rising."

Markus steps closer to me and I scoot back away from him. "It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." He says in a soothing tone.

I look at his eyes and I know he's telling the truth. I calm down a little as he comes towards me. He crouches down in front of me again and offers me a friendly smile.

"My name is Markus. What about you? What's your name?" He asks me.

"(Y/n)," I say, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Welcome to Jericho." He tells me.

'What's Jericho?'

Markus must've seen the confusion on my face so he explains. "It's a safe haven for androids like us."

'So for deviants then. Got it.'

I nod and he offers his hand which I take.

"Markus, are you seriously—!"

"Yes." Markus cuts North off. "She hasn't tried to hurt us and she's probably more scared of us than we are of her."

'He has a point.'

The blond-haired android steps forward with a welcoming smile. "I'm Simon. This is North and Josh." He says, introducing the two androids beside him.

I give the android a small smile, still unsure if I can fully trust them. Markus gives my hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Let's introduce you to the others," Markus says and leads me down a few hallways.

"How many of you are there?" I ask.

"Not many." He says as we enter the main space that I was looking down at earlier. I look around at all the androids and it breaks my heart. "Some are damaged badly to the point they'll shut down."

I look up at Markus. "Isn't there something you guys can do?"

He looks down at me sadly. "I don't know."

'There's gotta be something they can do.'

"I should probably get you to bed," Markus says as he sees me yawn.

I rub my eyes sleepily and nod. He's still holding my hand from before and he guides me to a room and opens the door.

"I know it's not much but it's something," Markus says as I look around the room.

I go over to the mattress in the corner and test it.

'It's not bad. I can still sleep on this.'

I turn to Markus and run over and hug his leg.

"Thank you, Markus."

Markus tenses up at first but then slowly bends down to give me a proper hug and I wrap my tiny arms around his neck.

"You're welcome." We pull away and I smile at him. "I'll go grab you a blanket."

I nod and he walks out. I walk over to the mattress and sit down. I lay down on the mattress and start falling asleep. I feel something being put over me and I open my eyes a little to see Markus tucking me in. He then starts walking towards the door.

"Goodnight Markus."

Markus looks back and smiles at me. "Goodnight (Y/n)." He says before closing the door.

'I wonder how Connor and Dad are doing. I hope they're not too worried.'

Connor's POV

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!" Hank yells and hits the steering wheel to his car.

"Lieutenant, it's getting late. Maybe we should just call it a night." I say even though I want to keep searching too.

"No! My little girl is out there on the streets of Detroit by herself! Who knows what could happen!" Hank yells at me.

"I want to keep searching too, Lieutenant, but you need your sleep." I reason with him.

"I'll sleep once we find her." He growls.

"Hank please," I beg. "We'll get every officer there is to be on the lookout for her, but there is nothing we can do right now. We've been searching for six hours."

Hank finally gives in and sighs. "Maybe you're right. I'll see you tomorrow Connor."

I nod and get out of the car and he pulls off as I stare after him.

'I promise I will find you.'

*Software Instability ↑* 

—ASE715