Chapter 6: The Nest

Your POV

I hear a car door shut and I start to stir. I open my eyes and let out a yawn and stretch before wiping the sleep out of my eyes.

"It's good to see that you're awake." Connor turns in his seat to face me.

I smile sleepily. "Hey Connor." I look around. "Where are we?" That's when I notice the big sign that says 'Chicken Feed.' "I love this place!" I unbuckle my seat belt and fumble with the handle on the door. When I finally open it I run over to where Dad is, but making sure to look both ways first.

Dad chuckles when he sees me run over. "That got you up."

"Of course it did." I look at Gary. "Gary can I have a cheeseburger?"

"Sure thing, kiddo."

Connor comes over and stands on the right side of Dad. He sees this and groans. "What is your problem? Don't you ever do as you're told? Look, you don't have to follow me around like a poodle!"

"I'm sorry for my behavior back at the police station. I didn't mean to be unpleasant."

"Oh, wow. You've even got a brown-nosing apology program!" Dad chuckles.

"That's what I said earlier!" I chuckle along with him.

Dad shakes his head and ruffles my hair. "Guys at CyberLife thought of everything, huh?"

"Here you go." Gary turns around with Dad's burger and soda in his hands. He then goes back to grab my cheeseburger.

I smile cheekily. "Thanks, Gary!"

"Ah! Thanks, Gary. I'm starving." Dad says.

We grab our food and head over to the table.

"Don't leave that thing here!" Gary yells after us.

"Huh, not a chance! Follows us everywhere." Connor starts following us. "See."

We stand under the umbrella to avoid getting soaked from the rain and start eating. Connor leans against the table with his hands folded together.

"Your meal contains 1.4 times the recommended daily intake of calories and twice the cholesterol level. You shouldn't eat that." Connor tells us.

I shrug. "I just burn it off. I have a fast metabolism." I say and bite into my burger.

"Everybody's gotta die of something," Dad tells him and takes a bite of his burger too.

"Do you eat here often?" Connor looks between the two of us.

Dad nods. "Most days. Gary makes the best burger in Detroit."

"You got that right," I say with food in my mouth.

Connor looks down at me. "You shouldn't talk with food in your mouth. It's considered rude."

I make sure to swallow my food before muttering a quick sorry.

"Is there anything you'd like to know about me?" Connor then asks.

"Hell, no," Dad answers quickly but then changes his mind. "Well, yeah, um... Why did they make you look so goofy and give you that weird voice?"

"CyberLife androids are designed to work harmoniously with humans. Both my appearance and voice were specifically designed to facilitate my integration." Connor answers.

"Well, they fucked up."

I snort and almost choke on my food. I shake my head. "There's nothing wrong with your face or voice Connor."