Chapter 2: Interrogation

I yawn loudly as I look at the clock in the car.

12:30a.m.

"Sounds like someone is getting tired." Dad teases.

"Never," I say as I yawn again.

"That yawn says otherwise."

I smile sleepily and look out the car window. It takes us about ten minutes to get to the precinct. Dad, Connor, and I all step out of the car as we see Chris lead the deviant into the department. We all follow, Dad taking the lead and Connor and I following behind him, walking side by side.

"(Y/n), may I ask you a personal question?" Connor asks as he looks down at me.

I look up at him. "Yeah, sure." I shrug.

"How is someone as young as you, able to work with the force?" He asks with a tilt of his head.

"Oh, um... Dad could never find a babysitter for us so he decided to take us with him. Turns out I have a knack for this type of stuff." I explain to him.

Connor's LED turns yellow as he processes the information I just told him. "You said, 'Dad could never find a babysitter for us,' who's us?"

I cast my gaze downwards. "Nobody," I mumble and then start to walk ahead of him before he can ask more questions.

We walk into the observation room and in the corner of the room I see Detective Gavin Reed.

"Reed! What's up!" I waltz over to him with a huge smile on my face.

"Hey, Squirt." Gavin smiles and gives me a fist pump before ruffling my hair.

"Ah, that's just fucking great!" I hear Dad mutter to himself as he finally noticed Gavin in the room. I never understood why they don't like each other, but Gavin is always nice to me. Dad sighs and gets up. "I'll talk to it first."

He uses his fingerprint and the door opens for him. Once he's in the interrogation room with the android he sits down in front of him as Gavin, Connor, and I watch through the one-sided mirror.

"Why'd you kill him?" Dad asks the android but gets no response. "What happened before you took that knife?" Again, nothing. Dad looks at the mirror, even though he can't see us. He then looks back at the android and asks, "How long were ya in the attic? Why didn't you even try to run away?" The android continues to say nothing and continues looking down so Dad snaps his fingers in front of his face. No reaction. Dad gets frustrated and slams his hands on the table. "Say something, goddamnit!" The android didn't even flinch. Dad shakes his head and gets up. "Fuck it, I'm outta here." He uses his handprint to open the door and leaves. He comes back to where we are, furious as ever. "We're wastin' our time interrogating a machine, we're gettin' nothing out of it!" He sits down in his chair like a child that just got scolded.

"'Could always try roughing it up a little. After all, it's not human." Gavin says.

I look at the android in the room. 'He looks human. He sounds human. He even has emotions like a human. How could you not think he's human?' I shake my head. "That wouldn't get him to talk. You'll probably just scare him even more."

Connor nods. "She's right. Besides, androids don't feel pain. You would only damage it. Deviants also have a tendency to self-destruct when they're in stressful situations."

"Okay, smartass." Gavin gets off the wall and faces Connor. "What should we do then?"

"Can I question him?" I ask.

"NO!" Dad and Gavin yell simultaneously.

"We're not risking that machine hurting you," Gavin says.